Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!






I first heard of Waldorf education when I was expecting my oldest, more than three years ago (can we talk about how that seems impossible? Wasn't she born yesterday?!) The depth of it all didn't really make an impression on me as I was drawn more to the beauty and design of their natural, earth based toys. It has only been in the last few months that I've really looked into the details and methods of it, only scratching the surface really, and have adopted some of the approaches that a Waldorf home embraces.

I could spend a long time explaining all I've read and learned, what I agree with and what I don't, even what I found reminiscent of our faith, but you'd be better off learning about Waldorf from others who say it much better than I. So to keep it simple, I love the humanistic and holistic approach of Waldorf education, especially for my little ones. I also love that it is so conscious of the earth and its rhythms (read: the seasons and times), that it is simple, spiritual, and beautiful. It wasn't surprising how well I was drawn to it, I love anything with a natural approach, to movement, food, home, and now parenting and education.

We decided our first Waldorf celebration would be a Martinmas lantern walk. We made lanterns, talked about the changing season and changing light, and how even though it is darker we can share light and warmth with others through kindness and good deeds. Then we lit our lanterns and delivered some cookies to neighbors to (in essence) warm their hearts. When my little one came back and told me she loved sharing her light with others and that her heart felt warm, I knew it was a celebration we would keep. Though we don't really need any more excuses to feed our neighbors..

Is your home a Waldorf home?
more about Waldorf education here and here.








Here are the cookies we shared with our friends, a work in progress for the last four years. It's an apple molasses cookie that is just the way I like cookies to be, sweet, bold, spicy, a little crispy on the outside with a soft and chewy heart. The only requirement with these cookies is that you share.


7 Comments

  1. these! i remember these and how you made a vague mention to them and i emailed you for the recipe. love them so much, very warm and lovely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful idea, Jen. I'm going to steal it next year. I hope you don't mind! And those cookies...don't get me started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course! Wish we could do it together next year..

      Delete
  3. Christian Rene FriborgNovember 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

    Apple and molasses in a cookie. Should taste awesome!

    ReplyDelete