Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!


"Moments are the molecules that make up eternity." Neal A. Maxwell








all photos taken by my lovely sister.

Friends, my most recent days, hours and minutes have been filled with ordinary day to day life-with-a-newborn-and-a-preschooler tasks, and I have been trying to savor every moment, which seems almost impossible because they fly by so quickly. It has been a number of weeks since I gave birth to my second daughter and I love seeing how different she is from my oldest, how much my oldest loves her (when she found out I was in labor she began jumping up and down saying how excited she was that baby sister was on her way), and I love how instantly her needs and smiles have become a beloved part of our family's rhythms.

I can't say everything has been sunshine and butterflies, I am still sleep deprived, worry that big sister will suffocate her with too much love, and I have suspicions that she has the same dairy aversion her sister had, possibly worse. We have faced some struggles that were mountains to climb, but climb we did (we are still climbing!).

Something that disappeared close to the time of her arrival was my motivation to create and enjoy food. Gratefully it has slowly returned over the past couple weeks, just in time for my favorite eating time of year. This week we had the first freeze of the season. Many nearby even got a dusting of snow (!) I don't think I will ever be ready for signs of winter's arrival. I know I wouldn't be able to endure it without first experiencing the brilliance of fall, some good soup recipes, and sweet moments that warm you up from the inside. (and of course I can't forget the holidays too, so excited!)



This is a recipe I shared last year on the Jacob's Cove blog. I wanted to share it here because I have been using it a lot with the green tomatoes I picked from the vine before it got cold, and let ripen in a basket on our kitchen table. Our indoor ripened tomatoes had thicker skins but they were just as delicious as their summer ripened relatives in this roasted soup.


10 Comments

  1. oh jen, i've missed your posts, tho your instagram and FB updates are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so sweet Lan, thank you friend! xo

      Delete
  2. You're back! Yay. Beautiful photos. Beautiful girls. And that soup looks AMAZING. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. always the sweetest, thank you Robin!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful pictures. Your children are stunning. And I'm so glad you're back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! I'm so happy for you. 2 young ones are such a challenge but they will be so much help when numbers 5, 6 & 7 come along. ; )

    I love those photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy!! How are you? We need to connect and catch up, I have been thinking so much about you and your dear family. Sending so much love.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures indeed! Can't wait to try this soup! (Im running out of soup recipes...it feels like all we eat lately)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are so beautiful, but that's mostly because your children are beautiful. I'm so glad you're back to blogging! Yours has always been one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete