Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I am supportive of putting your money and time towards people and businesses you believe in, and veering away from those who don't uphold your standards. It is a big reason we love local food and choose it over big agriculture farm foods. I have even researched companies I buy stock from in the past to make sure I am investing in good companies.

For the record, I am pro-life, and before you ask what that has to do with cookies, let me explain. When I was craving girl scout cookies, a comment from a friend about the relationship between the Girl Scout Organization and Planned Parenthood caused me to research a little more about who supports this pro-abortion group (or as a commenter clarified, pro-choice) that seems to differ from my beliefs. I discovered that not only has the Girls Scout Organization supported Planned Parenthood, but so does my husband's employer, where he volunteers, my previous employer of about 6 years, our gas station, bank, even Whole Foods to name a few; all companies/organizations we support and love.

So it caused me to wonder, do you research what your purchases are indirectly supporting? Does my shopping at Whole Foods, or buying a few boxes of thin mints from some neighborhood girls make me a hypocrite? If there's a local food provider or artisan who is pro-abortion and atheist (I am also pro God), I would probably still buy food from them (so long as they aren't vehemently opposing my beliefs), but would rather support and encourage them in their efforts of creating and providing good real food. Building good relationships between people and communities seems more important to me than voicing my opinion about my standards in a confrontational way. There has to be a better way to share what you believe in. I also went as far as researching where the money for those little cookies go, and most (aside the money paid to the bakers themselves) of the profits are said to go back to the troops and area I am buying from, according to the girl scout website.

Though it doesn't necessarily justify my buying girl scout cookies if I want to "make a stand for what I believe", we will keep getting good gas for our cars, my husband will keep his job to support us, we will still volunteer and give to the organizations we love and believe in, and we will probably keep buying girls scout cookies every once in a while because we like them, despite their ties with a group that offers abortions. Even with the numerous recipes available to make tasty versions at home, like this one.

What do you think?

side note: In sharing this post I don't want to offend my friend, or anyone else not buying girl scout cookies/gas/health food/whatever it may be for similar reasons (there are endless things to boycott and protest). Truly, I was grateful for her brave comment and it caused me to make a more informed choice, which I hope to do more often than not.
I also don't want to offend anyone who supports Planned Parenthood, or any other group that supports and encourages abortion. I may not be completely supportive of abortion, but I am also not completely against it. People have a right to choose, a great benefit to life.

post update: Thank you to everyone who has commented! I am grateful for the conversation that is happening. I especially love the personal stories that are about you, real people, being directly affected in a positive way by a supposed "big bad business". 

I didn't really mean to come across like I was completely against PP, I have read wonderful things about the organization and keep learning more. Also, I am not entirely anti-choice, there are situations where I think abortion is necessary. And though I don't agree with abortion in general, I do believe in good health care for everyone.

Also, a friend and I were chatting about researching companies and whether not it is actually effective to boycott every group you have something against. It's not. If you really wanted to get down to it, you could protest anything and everything. For this reason, I stopped researching companies I invested in a number of years ago (something I could have mentioned). I just wasn't willing to put in the time, and who knows what information you receive is really viable? I would rather spend my energy elsewhere, emphasizing the good than pinpoint every company that had a little bad in it. I myself am not perfect.

whole wheat peanut butter cookie sandwiches

2/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
1 large egg or egg replacer for 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup oatmeal, processed a little until coarse
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup chopped peanuts, optional

Cream coconut oil, pb, sugar, egg or replacer and vanilla together. Combine flour, oatmeal, baking powder and salt separately, then add slowly to the wet mixture until combined, then add the peanuts at the end. Gather and form dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten slightly. Refrigerate overnight.

Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to soften.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Roll out cookie dough until an 1/8 inch thick, cut into circles. Bake 13 - 15 min in preheated oven. Cool on a wire rack.

I used a narrow neck jar band to cut out my cookies, so if you are making smaller cookies, reduce your cooking time, baking until golden around the edges.

peanut butter filling
adapted from sheena in the little red house

1/3 cup powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
drop or two of vanilla extract
hearty pinch of kosher salt (if peanut butter is not salted)
1 teaspoon of milk (any kind), if needed

Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.

Combine the powdered sugar, peanut butter, coconut oil, vanilla and salt, mix well. If the frosting is too thick, add milk a very little bit at a time (a little goes a long way). Stir well after each addition until you get to the frosting consistency you prefer. Chill the frosting until it thickens up a little, then smear between two cookies to make a peanut butter cookie sandwich. This is enough for just a little bit of filling, feel free to double the recipe if you like more.

Store these cookies in airtight bags or individually wrapped in the fridge or freezer as the filling becomes soft at room temperature.

Here are a couple articles that recently stirred up opposition toward the Girl Scout's affiliation with Planned Parenthood if you want to learn a little more. The Washington Times, and Deseret News (for locals).


  1. I love this idea. Thank you for reminding me to be more conscious about my purchasing. I need these posts every now and then! (Oh, and I'll be pinning this recipe!)

  2. I appreciate this post. I think it's important to know what we're supporting knowingly and unknowingly.

    However... :)

    I will always be grateful for Planned Parenthood. I went there when I was pregnant with my first (ended in miscarriage) and my second (Lilly). We were poor with no health insurance--the first was a surprise. We got Medicaid shortly before I miscarried. Planned Parenthood was one of the only places to accept Medicaid in our area. I was scared to go there after hearing all about abortions and how horrible PP was.

    It was the best prenatal care I've ever had. I struggled with knowing they performed abortions. (I have a story to tell you that's too long for a comment. Remind me.) But I also felt comforted as I sat there. I was grateful there was a safe place to go to that respected women and their choices--whether they wanted to keep their baby or terminate--and that they offered great care for low-income women without health insurance. I did not have a good experience with the doctor's office I followed up with when I miscarried. (Another story.)

    I think there's a place for PP. Free or inexpensive contraception. Good care. I can't in good conscience not feel supportive of PP just based on my experience with them.

    1. Thank You for sharing this Linsdey, I did read a little about PP offering more than just abortion, and I am learning more by comments like yours.

      There are a lot of misconceptions about what PP does, and it's much more effective learning about it through real people who have experienced it firsthand than from a journalist and groups only looking to condemn. Thank you again.

    2. Jen, Please don't say you are pro-life and then endorse the largest abortion provider in the world. Please don't say you are pro-life and at the same time say it's a woman's right to choose to kill her unborn child. If you believe that, you are pro-choice, not pro-life. See what Girl Scouts teaches our girls in their printed and on-line materials: http://www.speaknowgirlscouts.com/index.php?p=1_4_The-latest-Journeys-more See what Planned Parenthood teaches our children: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j7XR9yH2ETk

  3. such an interesting post and comments too! I have no personal experiences with planned parenthood but I am encouraged to hear that Lindsey had a good experience there. I think it is honorable and inspiring that you are doing your research on companies. My only problem is that I sometimes can't afford the products of the companies that hold the better standards.. I feel like it's constantly a dilemma for me on wether to buy more expensively with a more morally sound company or buy more cheaply knowing I'll have enough food to get through the month. I would in no way consider ourselves poor by the worlds standards but our grocery budget is minimal. These are the thoughts that are always going through my head. Anyways... thanks for the inspiration :)

    1. I know, I am loving the comments!
      I am right with you on not being able to always afford the better product, and I also have a problem with having time, or at least putting aside the time, to research a company thoroughly enough where I feel complete about my decision. I would rather spend my time and money emphasizing the good aspects of what people are doing.

  4. I too have had really positive experiences with planned parenthood. I was treated like gold and was able to use them when I too didn't have money for another kind of care. I'm not sure what I would have done had I not had the option to go there for a reasonable price for health care. I also noticed that every person there was treated with respect and care. I saw loving couples waiting for inexpensive birth control, older women picking up prescriptions for female aliments, etc. I too am thankful that they exist. They do so much more for the women's health community than people realize. Same with the Girl Scouts! :)

    About business. I try to research as well, but would contend that 98% of businesses and companies out there support things or do things in a way that we wouldn't agree with if we only knew. I think the best way to put your money where your mouth is, is to do what you always encourage your readers to do, that is, buy locally, grow your own as much as possible, create relationships with the people you buy from, and just be loving and supportive people. A great mentor of mine once taught me that, "Everyone has a really good reason for making the choices that he or she makes." We cannot possibly know what leads people or companies to choose what they choose, and while I have problems with certain aspects of Planned Parenthood, Girl Scouts and Whole Foods (to share in your examples), the goodnesses that each provides far outweigh any negative parts of each that I may disagree with.

    Thanks for this engaging discussion! And on a food blog! :)

    1. Thank you for your comment and sharing your experience Melissa. We ended up buying the cookies anyway, partially because we like them, but also because buying a box seemed to do more good than not.

      Also, I completely agree that if you really researched companies, you'd find that most support something you don't believe in. It's more important and effective to emphasize what is good.


  5. Something to consider when talking about Planned Parenthood, while they do provide abortions, it amounts to 3% of the services the provide. The other 97% is pap smears, cancer screening, contraceptives, very important health care for women to receive. One in five women in the US only have access to those services through PP, they do a lot of good. I went to planned parenthood for a pap smear, it was the only place I could afford, in between college and grad school, while I had a break in my insurance coverage, that pap smear discovered ovarian cancer, luckily it was stage 2. Had Planned Parenthood not offered low cost care I would have not been able to afford one and by the time I could, my cancer would have been stage 4. They do great work, yes, they provide abortions, but they also provide significant health care for women in need, you may want to research that. Oh and its pro-choice, not pro-abortion.

    1. Thank you so much for the information and especially for sharing your life experience. The misunderstandings about Planned Parenthood (my own included) are clarified by comments like yours. Again, thank you.