Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!







I love breakfast. There are my favorite (and habitual) morning dishes that frequent our table, stewed and soaked grains sweetened with maple syrup paired with crunchy nuts and seeds and bursts of fresh fruit. We can't seem to get enough pancakes on the weekend, though admittedly they'd probably be waffles if we had an iron. Then there are husband's green smoothies that energize and awaken my body with a slice of golden toast smeared with coconut butter. But every now and again I want something hearty, rustic, a little pastoral and entirely savory. This often happens on lazy saturday mornings, for sunday brunch, but mostly on wednesdays. Makes sense, right?

This omelet is an example of those mornings.


The mushrooms in this omelet were grown in my kitchen with a back to the roots mushroom kit.

mushroom and kale omelet

butter (try this garlic chive compound butter)
a few eggs
pinch of salt, pepper
zest of a lemon
kale, chiffonade
mushrooms, chopped into bite size pieces
romano cheese, grated

Combine the eggs in a bowl or measuring cup, whisk with a pinch of salt and lemon zest until just combined (omit salt if using compound butter).

In a fry pan over medium low to medium heat melt a Tablespoon of butter, add the eggs and let cook for a minute or so until the sides of the omelet begin to look dry. Sprinkle the mushrooms, kale, and cheese on top of the omelet and heat until the omelet is cooked through. Serve with toast and oj, and have a great day.

note on the cheese: Pecorino Romano is typically a sheep's milk cheese, which is easier on cow milk sensitive systems. We love it and use it as a parmesan substitution. Feel free to use parmesan or another favorite cheese in this omelet.


4 Comments

  1. I want you to be my personal chef. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love breakfasts as well. welcome to the club :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to tell you these are gorgeous images!

    p.s. how is the dairy-free gig coming along still? I'd love a little update a year later...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The older I get the more I can appreciate breakfast.This sounds deelish. You always inspire me to cook beautifully as well as healthy. Beautiful pics (as always):)

    ReplyDelete