Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



When I was in elementary school, I was given the nickname "sweater girl" by one of my 6th grade teachers. During the autumn months whenever I saw her, if I was wearing a sweater, she would comment on the knit I wore saying it was a new one she had never seen before (even if it wasn't). When she saw me without, she'd ask if I had lost it; my sweaters and I were inseparable. I blame my love for this season as the reason I remember something so trivial. She noticed that I loved sweaters (and obviously had a lot of them), and by saying something to me about it I noticed that she noticed me, and that meant something. If she saw my wardrobe now, I'm pretty sure she'd still call me by that name, sweater weather is still my favorite sort of weather, although I've branched out to collect other seasonally relevant things like gloves, scarves, hats, and soup recipes. I have about as many favorite soups as I do sweaters. Okay I probably have more favorite soups.. luckily they go together perfectly.


This soup recipe is more of a list of things I had in my refrigerator last night. The good thing about it is that you can use whatever vegetables or leftovers you have that you want/need to use up. I love recipes like that.

turkey and bulgar vegetable soup

stock or water (about 1-2 quarts)
1 large russet potato
1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
leftover turkey meat , chopped up
herbs (parsley, thyme, basil)
zucchini, cubed
a little bit of crushed fennel
a drizzle of honey
salt
pepper
olive oil
1/3 cup bulgar

frehs herbs, for garnish
milk or cream, to pour in

Combine Everything except for the bulgar in a stock pot, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and let simmer until the potatoes are soft. Add the bulgar and let cook for another 20-25 minutes until soft. Taste and season with salt and pepper, garnish with fresh herbs and pour in some milk to make the soup creamy. Curl up in a sweater and some thick socks, enjoy with a thick crust bread.

happy weekend!


4 Comments

  1. jen, i love this post! beautifully written. you make embracing autumn so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized I have never commented on your blog, though I follow it religiously. My apologies! You have such a beautiful place here, complete with stunning pictures and equally gorgeous recipes. I am an avid reader of your musings and have loved getting to know you this way. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Oh yeah, and I was known for my chunky sweaters as a girl too. Autumn is the absolute best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good and I love that the ingredients are items I have already in my kitchen. Your blog is a gem. So glad to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sweater story. I had a teacher who wore the same thing most days whom I justified for years after my own multiply day outfits. So strange but luckily I grew out of it (kind of).

    ReplyDelete