Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



So remember how I ran a half marathon back in June? And remember how I scoffingly said meh I'm pretty much halfway there, may as well keep running? Well I did. I kept running; and running; and running. I ran so much I had to buy new shoes, and new shorts, yes I even got a new running top (or four). I also got a visor which may or may not be the most fashionable clothing purchase I've ever made but gracious I love that thing, especially in the rain.

I ran so much these past 16 weeks that I am days away from running my first marathon. Yes, I am officially one of those crazy masochist people who will be voluntarily putting my body through a ridiculous amount of strain (it's actually not so bad when you take it on gradually), all for the glory of a free t-shirt and a knick knack of a medal (where do I put/do with them?) I guess it's not really official until I finish, I will finish.

During my training, I have missed the conversation I had with my running partner before she moved away. I couldn't go back to listening to music, especially for my longer runs. I needed the real time of a voice, of conversation, something that engaged me mentally and intellectually. So I started listening to audio books and podcasts, many of which (surprise!) dealt with food. I now realize just how obsessed I am.

Here are a few of my favorites..


The Sporkful - I just recently started listening to this podcast and love the banter, insight and humor of it all. Start with the toast series, it's a winner.


Spilled Milk - I have always loved Molly Wizenberg, and her musings with Matthew Amster-Burton make for an enjoyable food experience, even if there's no food involved for the one listening. I love this podcast because it's completely casual, kind of random and a little innuendous, which I am all over. If you know what I mean.


Edible Radio - All you need to know about what is happening in the edible communities around you and the stories of the people behind them, the best of local food news. Someday I hope to hear a story from Utah, I love Utah's food culture.


This American Life - It's fascinating, entertaining, and sometimes just downright unbelievable, love it.


LDS General Conference - I love listening to conference talks over and over again. Even if I've listened to a talk numerous times, I always gain new insight on how to be a little better, a little kinder, a little more selfless;  plus my faith and perspective gets a much needed boost. It's the best way to start my day.

The HelpThe Botany of DesireAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle: a year of food life - I highly suggest listening to books you don't have time to sit down and read, it's almost better than sitting down to read them.

Do you listen to podcasts/books on cd? Do you have a favorite?


6 Comments

  1. Thats an awesome idea. As much as I love music I really like listening to podcasts in the morning. If you like this american life you would probably like "the moth" which is a collection of short stories told live. I also really like dan savage and "how stuff works: stuff you should know"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted these suggestions! I'm a sucker for food podcasts; I like to listen to them when I'm doing dishes or cooking. ;) Another good one is the NPR Food podcast; it's a summary of the week's food-related stories. Also, if you're into the news, try out the Morning Edition and All Things Considered podcasts, too.

    GOOD LUCK on your marathon! You are such a champ. And don't think for a second about hating on the visor--it's my favorite running accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) thank you for the posting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my darling love dw loves loves love loves Spilled Milk. when we embark on our first road trip to KY next month, we will listen to books on cd etc but when i'm running, i cannot talk or listen to talking. i prefer music.

    good luck on your marathon jen, you will do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lately I am the same way! I dislike running to music an I always just listen to Harry potter! Haha I just love it and have read it so many times! Also, I seriously have an obsession with food and think I will most definitely check these out! Last weekend I BEGGED my roommate to run with me! It's so much better to be thinking while you run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this!! I'm coming back to this post for sure!

    ReplyDelete