Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Even though it's getting cooler, I still love meals where I don't have to cook anything. I like to rely on my blender, a knife and board, and my can opener (yes, can opener) for quick weekday meals. I love making things from scratch, but beans are not one in my rotation. It is now autumn, the mountains that loom so close are peppered with red, orange, and yellow, the apples are now selling alongside the last of the peaches and of course they taste incredible, I can feel the brisk chill that travels deeper than my first layer of skin, and yet I am still transitioning.

marinated mushrooms and end of summer corn burritos
mushrooms, sliced
thinly sliced greens (chard, kale, collards, etc)
fresh corn, cut off the cob
raw cider vinegar or lemon
olive oil
herbs, chopped

can of refried beans
herbs, sprouts, lettuce
fresh salsa (recipe below)

In a bowl, combine mushrooms, greens, corn, a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, a pinch of salt and herbs. Let sit for an hour or more.

Prepare tortillas, heat up beans. Assemble burritos by smearing beans, then topping with salsa, the mushroom mixture and greens or herbs. You can add other things like sour cream, other veggies to the marinade, whatever you like and have.

fresh salsa
4 cups tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 a sweet onion
1/2 jalapeno, seeded
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lime
1 - 2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 - 2 teaspoons salt
a handful of cilantro
a drizzle of olive oil

a few ears of fresh sweet corn

Put all the ingredients except for the corn into a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the rest of the jalapeno for more heat, adding the seeds will make it hot.

With a knife, cut along the cob slicing off the corn kernels.

It’s a little watery because I like to use the whole tomato, but it is easy to thicken up. Pour the salsa into a fine sieve over a bowl. Let the liquid drain off the pulp until you get it to thickness you like.

Use the salsa on burritos, as a dip with tortillas, in scrambled eggs, rice pilafs, whatever you like. Use the drained liquid in soups and sauces.

One Comment

  1. I love the freshness of summer and not having to turn on the stove for a while!