Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I don't think there is anything more typical for a summer meal outside than hamburgers and fries. Sometimes we like to dress it up, make it a little unconventional. It makes for a good burger.

I have noticed a subtle but distinct change; in the air, the smell of the wind, and the sun. Summer won't last forever..

so get out there.

hoisin burgers with caramelized onion slices

for onions:
1 sweet onion
baslamic vinegar
olive oil, salt, pepper

for hamburgers:
1lb Hearst Ranch ground beef
1/2 cup oats, optional
3-4 T hoisin sauce
1-2 tsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chopped ginger
1/2 tsp salt
pinch smoked salt, optional
handful herbs (parsley, chives, thyme, basil, oregano), chopped
a little zest and juice of an orange

Cut the onion into slices, drizzle with olive oil, a little bit of balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven until caramelized and soft, about 20 minutes or more. You can flip them halfway through, but take care they don't fall apart.

Mix hamburger ingredients together, form into patties, cook on grill or a griddle until golden brown and cooked to preferred temperature (rare, well done, etc).

Just before serving, or while the hamburger patties are cooking, butter the insides of the buns, then toast them butter side up under a broiler until brown.

Top hamburger patties with the caramelized onions, sriracha mayo, sliced avocado, lettuce or sprouts, anything else you fancy, wrapped between two toasted buns and serve with sweet pot fries.

sriracha mayo
1/2 cup mayonnaise or vegenaise
1/4 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
a dallop of mae ploy sweet chili sauce

Combine ingredients well, taste and add more sriracha /mae ploy or mayo as needed.

** remember :: Hearst Ranch is offering 2 free lbs of 100% grass fed ground beef with any purchase over $74 **

little known fact: growing up, hoisin sauce was often called hoiyin sauce, after me. 


  1. looks great, I will have to try this. Normally I am just a regular greasy burger type, but this seems tasty

  2. ps... I love that you have a tall juicy burger on your site...so unlike you but I love it!!

  3. Hi, Jen! I just met your husband, and he told me about your blog. That is such a BEAUTIFUL burger!