Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



We have had blustery windy stormy days this week, and yesterday my health corresponded with the weather. I was useless in the kitchen, husband even commented on how wonderfully clean it was because I hadn't used it all day, and I haven't felt much for going anywhere or doing anything. I am feeling much better today, but still weak and grateful for a loving helpmeet, easy meals, and {leftover} soup to warm my chilled body.

I have a lot of recipes that call for kale leaves, and I usually toss the stems with the rest of the kitchen scraps into my homemade compost bin (see: 5 gallon bucket with a lid). But this time I wanted to do something with them because the kale we get from Jacob's Cove have kale stems unlike anything I've purchased from any market. They can be eaten raw, dipped in hummus or herbed cream, sauteed and served alongside steamed brown rice, I've even thought about pickling them. Their taste is similar to broccoli, only a little less so. And because I knew they would be delicious, and I hate wasted food, this soup was born.


cauliflower and kale stem soup
loosely adapted from chez panisse: vegetables

1 small cauliflower (1.5 lb)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cupse kale stems, chopped into small pieces
1 yukon gold potato, cubed
greens of 2-3 carrots or 1/2 cup fresh parsley, leaves only
1 quart stock

Remove the green part of the cauliflower and any leaves. Cut it up into small florets, setting aside a few for the garnish.

Sauté the cauliflower, onion, kale stems, potato cubes and carrots in a couple Tablespoons of butter and a glug or two of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt, and a bit of water or stock until the onion begins to soften. Cover with the remaining stock and cook at a low boil for about 20 - 25 minutes, until everything is soft.

While the soup is cooking, bring a small pot of water to a boil and cook the reserved cauliflower florets until just softened but still crunchy on the inside. Alternatively you can microwave the florets in water for one minute on high.

Blend the soup with an immersion blender or standing blender. Take care as the soup will be quite hot. you can add more stock or milk to give the soup a thinner consistency. Serve with milk thinned sour cream or creme fraiche, a spoonful of the cauliflower florets, and a few of the carrot top greens.


3 Comments

  1. Sorry you've been sick! No fun. This soup looks delicious. Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful soup that was born! i'm still playing with kale, i wish the stems i encounter were tender & sweet enough for use.

    hope you are feeling better friend.

    ReplyDelete