Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



I have been trying to figure out what the Easter bunny brings to our house. He will come for the first time this year, officially. (He made a meager appearance last year) I have a feeling he may leave a stuffed bunny, bubbles, and a crayon roll.

That chocolate easter bunny mold I ordered came in the mail this afternoon. I am going to attempt making one this week; wish me luck.

I love Caitlin's testimonial (she writes roost blog) about the power of food and the direct relationship it has with your health, or more specifically her husband's. Although, I believe it applies to all.

This article about how to steal like an artist is fantastic. My favorite part, "Every artist gets asked the question, 'Where do you get your ideas?' The honest artist answers, 'I steal them.'" I have been waning for inspiration lately, I'm now on the art thieving prowl.

I have been watching Bleak House, and now I want to read it. What have you been reading/wanting to read?

It has been rainy, and there was a mote in front of our steps all day. We thought about building a bridge but just leapt over it instead.

I kind of love taking naps with the toddler.

Sometimes I feel lonely for girly friends, but then I spend afternoons with my sisters and I thank my lucky stars they live so close.


This was an accidental meal, one of those that are thrown together out of desperation but then make appearances by request or happenstance. The roasted potato method was handed down to me from my husband's mother. It's a way to save time, and handy when you've meant to bake potatoes but are out of foil. Plus it creates a crispy crust on the downward facing side, so yummy.

potatoes with avocado and white beans

potatoes, cleaned and halved
olive oil and salt

a few avocados
a can of cannellini or northern white beans
fresh parsley
a few leaves of kale or collards
good olive oil
a lime or lemon
salt and pepper

Drizzle a bit of olive oil on a baking sheet, then sprinkle with salt. Lay the potatoes flesh side down onto the sheet, smearing the salt and oil around, then rub a bit of the oil onto the skin sides. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.

While they're baking, slice up the avocados, rinse the beans, chop the parsley, chiffonade the kale, and combine them all in a big bowl. Add some olive oil, the juice of the lime/lemon, and salt to taste mixing it all well. The avocado, oil and juice will create a kind of dressing encompassing everything.

Serve two potato halves alongside a big dallop of the green bean mixture.

notes:
I lay my silpat onto the cookie sheet, to make sure the potatoes don't stick.
Add whatever you like to the mixture, anything goes.


4 Comments

  1. seriously Jen, the article is SPOT ON. write what you LIKE because writinig what you know can be so dang on BANAL. my fave tho? side projects and hobbies are important. i would go crazy and die of absolute boredom if i didn't have five yarn projects on the side to finish, or a book that has to be read by a certain timeframe.

    speaking of books to read, i've been reading Born to Run for MONTHS now, taking it in slow as i build up my running routine. i'm also reading Clan of the Cave Bear on the recco of a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating your own chocolate bunnies is genius! I love me some traditional Easter treats, but am horrified by the ingredients in most of the store-bought stuff. Hopefully Amazon Prime will get me a mold by Saturday.

    I'm looking forward to discovering roost blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely lady I admire once told me that everyone is trying for something, no matter how nonchalant and natural they look. I thought this was refreshing and encouraging. I was reminded of this when you said that the honest artist often steals their ideas.

    On another note, I just finished reading The Glass Castle and enjoyed it. Now I'm reading the Reluctant Tuscan.

    Hope you have a very celebratory Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bubbles are always a hit in the bunny basket. Also... bunny ears. Have a great holiday friend.

    ReplyDelete