Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!







Over the weekend, I celebrated my 26th birthday. It was small and quaint, and perfect to me. We spent the day together as a family, eating good food and enjoying typical utah spring weather; moody overcast skies at the break of day, a raging snowstorm in the afternoon, and a windy but sunny and almost warm sunset. I always had mixed feelings about my spring birthday because of the fickle weather, but then spring has always been one of my favorite seasons. I kept finding hand written notes wishing me a happy day all over the house, I received well wishes from friends and family (my phone died twice because of its overuse), and husband made sure I didn't have to cook at all on my special day. But I couldn't help baking my own cake. What's a birthday without a cake? One that keeps on giving for a few days after. And chocolate, of course.

I used a recipe from my lovely sister in law. One of those "it happens to be vegan" recipes I love discovering. I decided to make a few changes to it, substituting all purpose flour with cake flour, increasing the cocoa, replacing the water with milk, and the undisclosed "oil" with my favorited coconut. I just can't leave things be. What resulted was something less cake-like and more resemblant to two big brownies. Didn't bother me a bit. It may not be the holy grail of chocolate cakes, the chocolate cake I hope to win the nobel prize with; but it was fantastically moist and perfect for a late march birthday, and the few days following. Maybe on a regular ol' sunday afternoon I will try the recipe as it was given to me, and discover it was the fabled perfect birthday cake after all. Sometimes I just give myself too many airs, but then I am the birthday girl.

well, was.


altered funny fudge cake
from my dear susie

dry ingredients:
3 1/2 cups cake flour
2 cups natural cane sugar
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons cocoa
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt

wet ingredients:
2 cup milk (i used rice)
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Oil and flour (or use parchment) 2 9-inch round cake pans.

Combine dry and wet ingredients with a wooden spoon. Spoon batter into pans, bake for 35 - 40 minutes until inserted toothpick or skewer comes out clean.

Frost with chocolate marshmallow icing (recipe below).

note: You can bake this in a 9x13 pan rather than the two rounds. If you are making layers, be very careful when placing one of the cakes on top of the other, these cakes are a bit fragile and easily fall apart. Perfect for shmooshing with your fork, not so much for making perfectly shaped cakes.


chocolate marshmallow frosting

1 T milk or almond milk
1 cup marshmallows, packed

3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, at room temperature/softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond milk, added one Tablespoon at a time, more if necessary (added by teaspoons)

Combine milk and marshmallows in a bowl or measuring cup. Microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, whisk until smooth and mallows are creamy.

Sift sugar and cocoa together, set aside. Cream the butter/coconut oil, add the sugar and cocoa, followed by the marshmallow mixture and vanilla. Add the almond milk one Tablespoon at a time until the frosting is thick and fluffy.

If you want to have enough frosting to frost the sides then double the batch. I kind of love just smearing it between + atop. I've never really been a frosting fan anywhoskie; less is more.


10 Comments

  1. YUMMMMMM!!! This looks amazing! So happy to hear you had a lovely birthday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I always forget that our b-days fall on the same few days? Your cake looks awesome. I'm totally making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how lovely and simple and perfect. have i told you lately how much i enjoy reading your posts & posts? well, i do.

    i know i said it on FB but i'll say it here too: i am so very glad you were born. happy birthday sweet jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cakes looks delicious! I would be perfectly fine with it more like a brownie, too. Happy you had a lovely birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday sweet friend!! It sounds like you had a special day. And the chocolate cake sounds perfect...I prefer it more brownie like anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you sweet friends! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying this cake this afternoon for a friends birthday:).
    Thanks for the recipe! I quite enjoy readin your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even like chocolate and I want that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake looks fantastic! I love chocolate cakes! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete