Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




The last few days I have been spending the evenings off the computer between the pages of an enthralling book and humming and tapping my toes along with Fred and Jane. Sadly though, I've enjoyed these moments alone because Aaron has been studying yet again for the gmat (second time!). But he still comes upstairs when I call, to laugh with me at Fred's silly outfits. Have you ever noticed?

One of the mini goals I made for myself this year was to finally get around to making my own crème fraîche. It's was one of those things where after I found I had made it four weeks in a row, I wondered why it wasn't always so. I try not to live in the past, regretting what could've been, and instead try to focus on enjoying the present moment. Gratefully, crème fraîche makes that an easier task. Have you ever had it? It's wonderful. The beautiful marriage of active cultures and whole cream is luscious, a little snappy, incomparable. go. make this. today. It almost seems silly because it's such a simple recipe. The type of recipe I can see a mother or gran teaching their children, showing how magic is made with some cream, a spoonful of yogurt, a nurturing environment, and a bit of time.

A number of life lessons could be taught alongside, no?


crème fraîche
from all over

1 Tablespoon plain yogurt (made with whole milk)
1 cup whole cream

Combine the yogurt and cream in a glass, enamel or other non-reactive pot or jar. Cover loosely and allow to sit at room temperature until thick. Depending on the warmth of the environment, it may thicken in 6 - 8 hours, or up to 36 hours.

Store in the refrigerator for a week and up to ten days.

notes:  
Look for yogurt that has very few ingredients, like "cultured whole milk".

If you have a large enough jar, double, triple, or even quadruple this recipe.

Alternatively you can warm the mixture to about 70 - 80 degrees over heat before allowing to sit at room temperature (this might be ideal with a larger batch). It will make the thickening time considerably shorter.

Traditionally, crème fraîche is made with buttermilk, but I like the cultures in yogurt.

Don't be afraid about the cream sitting at room temperature. I am making a brazen assumption that those who may be timid are probably American, - why do we feel the need to kill so much of what we eat? the live benign bacteria in the yogurt/buttermilk that grow and thicken the cream are exactly how they are described, benign, meaning harmless. If you are still a little wary, be sure to thoroughly clean and dry the utinsels and jars you will be using to make the crème fraîche.

vegan? This recipe works with coconut cream and soy/almond yogurt with active cultures, although the mixture will be a bit more liquidy and not as thick.

Use crème fraîche as you would use sour cream or whipped cream. In savory dishes over meats, fish, in soups and sauces, in tarts, and pies, and puddings, etc. For sweet things add a bit of maple syrup and vanilla extract, then serve with ice cream, crisps, pies, parfaits, fresh fruit, (insert favorite dessert here), etc.


2 Comments

  1. I can't wait to check out The Royal Wedding and some other Fred and Jane movies. I'm a old movie junkie!

    Also, thanks for the great recipe. Its one I've been wanting to try as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jen, i am lactose intolerant but i am able to consume yogurt... what is the diff. between coconut MILK and coconut CREAM?

    ReplyDelete