Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

At this very moment, our basement slightly resembles a re-run of a hoarder's episode. Not that I would really know, I've only ever seen one episode. However, one episode is more than enough to give you a visual. Over the weekend, and including the holiday, we started a small organization/home improvement project that necessitated pulling everything out of closets, drawers, boxes and the like, and while most of the major piles are awaiting a move into their shiny new homes (read: plastic bins from wal-mart) they are sitting in various piles on the floor, countertops, and anywhere else we can find room. I feel like there is zero order, but gratefully it's only temporary.

To take our minds off the mess during the holiday yesterday, the babe and I decided to make up some valentine's for her toddling friends. We used the cookie recipe Melissa taught at our Valentine's day class on saturday. The class where I ate way too much chocolate, and the class where I decided I will never get sick the week before teaching again. My head was so full of pressure that I couldn't hear well, and my mind wasn't as sharp as usual, so I wasn't answering food questions (or any question) very well. This is a sort of lame apology to the class, but wasn't the food still awesome?

a few more things from our weekend:

- my valentine gave me a few nontraditional gifts; an extra hour of sleep, a swiffer mop, and a peg board. It was the best valentine's day yet.
- we made a visit to Lowe's thrice, wal-mart twice, costco once, and are planning a trip to the thrift store to make a very large delivery.
- I discovered that I was nominated as someone's favorite mom food blog over at babble.com - to whomever you are, thank you. my confidence and smile was a little brighter today; especially since I fed my family leftovers all weekend.

how was yours?

linzer heart cookies with raspberry jam
adapted from Melissa Chappell, adapted from Sarabeth's Bakery

3/4 cup whole almonds or hazelnuts
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon real salt

3/4 cup butter
1/2 + 1 Tablespoon raw sugar
1 large egg

raspberry or strawberry jam
powdered sugar

Toast the almonds or hazelnuts in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool, then remove as much of the skins as you can by rubbing them between your hands in a kitchen towel. Process in a food processor or blender with a little bit of flour. Add remaining flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.

Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and light. Add the egg, beating well. Add the flour mixture, beating until everything just comes together. The dough will be a bit crumbly. Spoon it onto a sheet of plastic wrap, mold into a thin disc, then cover and refrigerate for a couple hours or overnight.

After the dough is chilled, roll it out, cut out small shapes, place on a parchment lined baking pan. To make the heart sandwich cookie, cut out equal amounts of heart shapes, then cut out a smaller heart in the center of half of those. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely before spooning a bit of jam between two cookies. Dust with powdered sugar.

For cookies with the middle cut out, or a window, dust the top layer with powdered sugar before placing it on top of the jam center so you don't get powdered sugar on the jam. If you do get powdered sugar on the jam, don't worry, it will most likely dissolve anyway.

p.s. in case you were wondering, here is the little one, delivering her valentines.
p.p.s. stay tuned for tomorrow's recipe - the dark fudge ice cream.
just because v-day is over doesn't mean you can't still eat chocolate.


  1. Love this. All of it. The recipes, the stories, you. :)