Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

There's not much to say about this ice cream, except that it's better than any chocolate ice cream I've ever had, storebought and homemade combined. Many people might tell you they have the best chocolate ice cream recipe, but they don't know what they're talking about because this is it. I'm sure there will be some people who will contest my sense of taste, and that's alright. However, if you come to our home when chocolate ice cream is on the menu, and I haven't recently sent the husband shopping, this is what you will be served. and this is what you will be dreaming about the rest of the week.

The first time I made this ice cream was to celebrate the babe's first birthday. It was a customary gesture, to go alongside her chocolate birthday cake (I'm still searching for a winning recipe for that). Speaking of, we have a birthday coming up next week...

Something else about this ice cream, I can't really take credit for it as it is almost entirely Melissa's recipe. I only added cream + vanilla. Admittedly, it's the best dern vegan chocolate ice cream I've ever had too, because it's ridiculously easy to convert. you do trust me, don't you? try it vegan, I dare you.

fudge ice cream
adapted from raw melissa

1 cup raw cocoa powder
1 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1 cup whole cream or coconut cream
2 cups half and half/whole milk or almond milk

1/3 cup chopped walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts

Pulse cocoa powder, agave and coconut oil in a food processor or high speed blender until smooth. Slowly add the cream and milk, mixing until smooth. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze, or pour into a 9x13 pan and keep in freezer, stirring every half hour until set. Top with chopped nuts.

- I was asked if this could be used as a base for other ice creams: strawberry, raspberry, etc. and I say go for it. Just replace the cocoa powder with 1 cup fresh or frozen crushed fruit or preserves. You will probably want to use less agave so start with 1/2 a cup and taste, adding more until it's as sweet as you want.
- This is pretty incredible with a swirl of creme fraiche and fresh berries added in, or maybe you prefer bite size bits of brownie? or maybe homemade raspberry jam? garsh.
- You can add another cup of cream, it will make the fudge less intense. Be sure to taste the ice cream before freezing it, to see if you also want to add a little more agave nectar.


  1. This might possibly be the best chocolate ice cream ever because it has a hint of coconut and chopped nuts. I am coming over when you next serve this!

  2. Yum! thanks Jen! Can't wait to try it!

  3. where do you buy agave nectar??

  4. Sounds amazing! We'll be making this soon.

    Jean- you can buy agave inexpensively at Costco or Sunflower Market :)

  5. I can agree with you completely since you made it for us in class. I am already dreaming about when I can make it. Thanks for sharing!!