Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Last weekend I had a couple visits from family members, and at both they brought edible gifts from my father. I ended up with two rounds of daikon cake, and one loaf of the husband's favorite, coconut cake; a sure sign of the coming holiday. I also spent a while talking with my father about traditions and plans for the new year celebration. A few of the recipes will grace this space in the next while, along with a one or two other favorite asian dishes I grew up eating. To get you started, here are some I've previously posted, used by my family every lunar year.

Are you planning celebrations for the year of the rabbit?

diakon cake
coconut cake
pork and ginger potstickers
noodle soup
twisted coconut bao
how to steam rice
five spice powder
almond tofu

chinese new year menu 2010

I realize the juxtaposition it is, promoting local and seasonal foods and at the same time sharing recipes and dishes that require you to shop for ingredients that are only imported. Although I believe in using as many local ingredients as possible, it is just as important to have a variety of culture and tastes in your culinary repertoire. It is unavoidably crippling to be narrow minded, or rather narrow palette-d. I know, we're making up new jargon here.

These recipes are just as much a part of who we are, as are the seasonal, healthy, and even the not so healthy recipes shared here.

Leave a Reply