Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I wanted to show you the gift ideas that we shared at our class last saturday. They aren't your typical Christmas cookie gifts, although we do love a cookie plate every year.  If you are interested in watching the class (and skipping over the silliness) you can watch it here.

gift basket with ingredients to make elizabeth hayley's christmas cake

a small spice jar with equal parts of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves layered for a touch of drama, a large glass jar with 1 cup walnuts, 1 cup raisins, and 1 cup mixed dried fruit, paper loaf pans purchased from here, a copy of the recipe, and an ornament, to make it pretty. Of course you can give the cake, already made. I am sure some people would actually prefer that.

gift basket to make winter squash masala

a winter squash (from our storage), a couple onions, a head of garlic, some ghee, coconut milk, the recipe, a copy (or better yet a subscription) to edible wasatch - find your local edible publication here, the spices needed to make garam masala from scratch, or your favorite garam masala mix. If you added other ingredients for the masala, that would be lovely; like a bunch of tarragon or cilantro, or better yet the masala already made and paired with some smothered with ghee garlic na'an.

I should probably be modest, but I was so flattered when Annie said my masala was better than bombay house. woot!

a spice or herb mix in a pretty jar

paired with a recipe that highlights the mix, this would be a lovely gift for someone that loves to cook, even if it's just buttered toast. If the mix calls for a lot of different spices, try layering them to show the different colors and textures. Look for interesting and old jars at thrift stores, be sure to wash them out before adding anything edible to them.

here are a few spice and herb mixes that would make for simple and lovely gifts: chinese five spice powder, mulling spices, garam masala, christmas cake spice, herbes de provence, pumpkin spice, curry, vanilla sugar, cinnamon + sugar; do you have a favorite?

other culinary treasures that would make lovely gifts: specialty salts like fleur de sel, cinnamon sticks, saffron, cardamom, any whole spice like nutmeg, a jar of local honey, bread, or cheese, or all three.

A few things I learned this weekend:

nothing happens like you plan it to, ever.
soup and crusty bread is always the perfect meal in december.
good company and conversation is the best part of a class.
I love loud outbursts of laughter.
there is nothing as important as a supportive and loving family.
I prefer snow over mud.
even if you think it's not plugged in that much, do not touch the prongs of a plug while it's in the power cord and your device is on.

how was your weekend?


  1. Those are all great lessons to learn. I am with you on each and every one! Wish I could have attended class--I am sure it was fabulous!

  2. This (the video) makes me miss you THAt much more! And I am in lurve with your hair, for realz. Too cute =)

  3. I am so sad that I missed your class!! These are gorgeous ideas and I appreciate you sharing them.