Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Some days I like to mix things up, you know, to keep husband and baby on their toes. Like making pancakes instead of oatmeal on a weekday. And on a wednesday for cryin' out loud! But these weren't just any pancakes. They were all nogged up and served hot with real maple syrup, frozen raspberries, and a dallop or two of peanut butter for the moma bear. Chocolate milk filled our glasses (and sippy cup) and we were in luxe comas until noon. I like celebrating the middle of the week.

whole wheat nog pancakes
adapted from my other pancake recipe

2 large eggs or egg replacer
1 2/3 cup egg nog
4 Tablespoons oil or melted butter
4 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

In a large measuring cup beat egg well, then add egg nog, oil, maple syrup and vanilla. In a separate small bowl combine dry ingredients. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet, adding more eggnog as needed for the batter to have your favorite pancake consistency. Cook on a preheated (and buttered) 350 degree griddle.

If you don't know how to cook pancakes, pour some batter onto the hot buttered griddle or pan and when the cakes are a little dry on the sides and have bubbles on top, flip 'em!

Serve with frozen raspberries from your autumn forage (or grocer) and hot maple syrup, or eat plain.

serves about 6


the recipe is assuming you are using real maple syrup. If you are using mapeleine syrup instead (sugar syrup), decrease the amount of maple syrup called for by half. It is considerably sweeter than maple syrup from a maple tree.

you can eliminate one or both of the eggs if you have the flax added, although I am making an assumption so if you try it and it doesn't work, sorry! but I think it just might.

The wheat germ and flax seed lend the pancakes a nutty flavor and texture. If you don't have/want to include them, substitute them with whole wheat flour.

a newsletter just came to my inbox with a recipe for coconut eggnog, gracious... we just use soy/rice nog.


  1. Wow, I am going to have to try these sometime in the near future. I love interesting pancakes.

  2. Egg nog + pancakes = a perfect wintery breakfast treat! Can't wait to try these.

  3. I love your very whimsical Wednesday morning! How fun!!

  4. I made these last Saturday to use up the rest of the eggnog, and they were delicious! I love that these make a hearty and wholesome breakfast (I've been toasting leftovers for days!).

    1. I am so glad you enjoyed them, these are our tried + true! I love the toasting idea, must try.