Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



We have already made a few seasonal changes like boxing up all of the babe's summer frocks and replacing them with pants and sweaters (although there are a few rompers still hanging around being paired with little leg warmers), reassigning the down comforter to bed duty and my slippers to cover my chilly toes until june, and serving dinner from the oven instead of the cutting board. But I find myself still playing with the ideas of tomato sandwiches for dinner or raw sweet corn on the cob and even find myself serving chilly green smoothies for an occasional breakfast rather than our beloved oatmeal.

This year I have been holding on to summer as long as I can, and if you know me, that's a first. I am usually so excited for autumn that I start to don sweaters prematurely and regret it when I am so hot I'd rather be in nothing but my underwear. But after being fed a delicious butternut squash salad this afternoon by lindsey, and a hot plum and peach crisp after dinner, I think I am ready to make the change. It must have had something to do with the spicy and comforting aromas of autumn that filled my senses today. But there has to be one last hurrah, and since there's no beach within a day's driving distance to do it properly, it will have to be ice cream.

This is the peach ice cream recipe I made for the class taught at jacob's cove. We have been loving it with the peaches from allred's stand just down the street, or rather across, or maybe it's up? whatever, I can't get enough of it. I blame my refusal to let summer go to the fact that these peaches were late to the party. Instead of june, they decided to be fashionably late appearing in august. august. no matter, i will eat them with juice running down my arm by sunny day, and then in crisps and hot pies a la mode by chilly night. It makes the transition to fall a little more subtle, like any good transition should be.

fresh peach ice cream

3-4 large peaches (about 4 to 5 cups)
1/2 - 3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut cream or whole cream
1 cup almond milk or half and half
1 to 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, in liquid form, optional
2 - 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
a drop or two almond extract, optional
pinch salt

splash or two of rum or peach schnapp's, optional

Pit and roughly chop peaches into small chunks. Mix fruit and sugar together in a non-reactive bowl like ceramic or glass, not metal. Cover an let sit overnight at room temperature until sugar is dissolved, stirring if needed. Combine with remaining ingredients tasting and adjusting as necessary. Be sure all ingredients are room temperature, and mix well if adding the coconut oil so that the oil doesn't solidify in large chunks. Freeze in super de duper ice cream maker or place in container or jelly pan and freeze, stirring every fifteen minutes or half hour until set. Serve with graham shortbread.

The alcohol adds a bit of adventure and keeps the ice cream from freezing completely so when you pull it out of the freezer, it's the perfect texture. Otherwise let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a bit before serving to soften it up.

And no, there's nothing wrong with having peach pie with peach ice cream. it's love.


3 Comments

  1. oh this was so beautifully written Jen! i am also holding onto summer for dear life but alas, i know i will have to let go. what a way to celebrate the end of summer tho, Peach Ice Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can asure you that the ice cream was so yummy!! Thanks Jen for teaching the class. I made the ice cream for my family and they loved it as well. Can't wait for more!

    Sheena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! You have such an amazing blog! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete