Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



last saturday's class was fantastic. it was a small group, which made the class intimate and comfortable, plus all the participants got to have as many samples as they wanted. my favorite moment was when the eggplant rollatini came out of the oven and we didn't have any plates to serve up samples. Everyone grabbed a fork, gathered together elbow to elbow, and shared the meal. It was cozy and although potentially unsanitary, fun.

A month or so ago we were given the okay from our family doctor to reintroduce dairy into my diet. She recommended that it be raw cow's milk, but I hadn't done much research on the benefits and risks of it so I tried goat's milk instead and both babe and I did well, no negative reactions. I took that as a green light to try a few more things so I made my own ricotta cheese from the goat's milk. It was easy, and I loved having sweetened ricotta again, however we still use rice and almond milk as our primary 'dairy' sources.

After such a great experience with the goat's milk I decided to try raw cow's milk, making my own ricotta with it too, but I felt sick afterward. Not because it was raw, but because my body just isn't used to cow dairy. Husband loved it, of course; but I will have to continue taking small and gradual steps with this reintroduction process, although looking at the benefits of plant based milks (including monetary) we may just stay animal dairy free.

except for the cheese. I'm so glad it's back.

check out today's zupas post about making ricotta cheese at home.


4 Comments

  1. We started drinking raw cows milk some months ago. It took me some time to get used to it, but I love it now! (Plus I love have the cream to make my own butter and ice cream with.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I'M JEALOUS!!!! I can't have dairy, chocolate, anything gas producing, limited baked goods and sugar while I'm nursing. How old is your little one??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally want to try making ricotta! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jen for sharing how to make ricotta cheese. Enjoy your cheese!!

    Traci
    BurntApple.com
    HealthyDealsNSteals.com

    ReplyDelete