Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



Every once in a while I am incredibly confident, other times I'm the biggest weenie around. On a good day I can recite the rehearsed eloquence in my head, most of the time I scramble words in a way that is irreparable. After many a meal I crave something dense, crumbly and comforting, but on warm nights I'd rather have something fresh, and lighter than air. On occasion I will remember to be that person who is unfailingly kind, but mostly I notice I am surrounded by them. On saturdays I forget about the mail, mondays I remember. I like to think that I am witty and constant, but I think I am more often too serious and even more fickle. Usually he readies my toothbrush for me, but the evenings he falls asleep on the couch, I get to them first. Sometimes I know the perfect way to introduce a beautiful dessert, but still other times I am at a loss.

like right now.


naked apple galette
taught at seasonal foods class, adapted from david tanis

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, cold and cut into small cubes
1/4 cup coconut oil or natural shortening, soft
1 Tablespoon maple syrup, honey, or other sweetener
1 – 2 Tablespoons ice cold milk

8 medium crisp apples, about 3 pounds
sugar, for dusting
cinnamon, for dusting
apricot jam or maple syrup

Sift flours and salt together. Measure out the coconut oil (if a liquid) and milk in separate bowls, place in freezer while you cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork, not your hands. When the butter is the size of peanuts, add the coconut oil, which should still be soft but no longer a liquid and neither a solid, and cut until the size of peas and crumbly.

Drizzle the maple syrup in and mix with your finger, barely bringing the ingredients together; do not press. Add the icy milk by Tablespoonfuls until the dough just comes together. Only add the second Tablespoon in a small stream if the dough is obviously dry, as the dough should not be too wet. Clump the dough together, sprinkle with a bit of flour and pat into a rectangle about 1 inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour and up to two days.

When you are ready to use the pastry, take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit for a couple minutes. Roll out the pastry a little larger than your baking sheet with a piece of parchment or plastic wrap above and beneath until the dough is about 1/4 inch thick, using your baking sheet as a guide (this will make one tart in a 10x15 inch rectangle jelly roll pan with enough to just barely crawl up the sides, or not).

Peel and cut the apples into quarters. Remove cores and slice as thin as possible. Arrange the apple slices on the pastry. You can cover and refrigerate the tart at this point.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Sprinkle some sugar and ground cinnamon atop the apple slices, bake until brown and pastry is crisp, about 35 - 40 minutes. Immediately brush with a bit of warm apricot jam or maple syrup. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or vanilla coconut cream.

notes:
- you can substitute the spelt flour with all purpose, rye or whole wheat flours.
- if you do not have it, you do not need to use coconut oil, substitute it with butter.
- for those who took the class please notice the slight differences such as baking time, addition of cinnamon and wording in last paragraph. There is no need to let it cool completely, just serve it warm.


Leave a Reply