Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Yesterday evening after tucking the babe into bed I walked down the stairs and was amazed at how different things suddenly were. It was dark. There was no golden glow coming from the street out front, not even dusk, only dark. at eight o' clock. It was as if the sun knew its deadline of keeping my litle street alight in summer sun had come. It felt so sudden, and very final.

I guess it's just as well, especially since today is the moon festival, or mid-autumn festival. It's the celebration of the end of the summer harvest and the bright autumn moon. As a child we would look forward to this holiday and the dense, palm size, and perfectly sweet mooncakes my father would purchase each year to celebrate. There were a few ways we would eat them. Shared, cutting it into the exact number of pieces for each family member. Nibbled, bite by bite so as to make it last as long as we could, days even (the preferred way to eat them when we each had our own). Or all at once, which often proves to be a futile attempt made by the senseless glutton since the density and richness of the cake is just too much for a person to handle alone. I can specifically remember the year I attempted it. One of my father's friends (or maybe a relative?) sent us a box of the golden, soft, and fragrant cakes. Even though we still had cakes for months after the celebration I waited for the next year to have another, and only a slice. So it was decided then, and every year after, that my favorite way to eat a mooncake was shared, like every delicious treat should be.

About a week ago my baba took a trip to hong kong where he stayed with my grandparents, did a bit of business, a lot of shopping, and skyped with us here at home. It was my grandparent's first time seeing their eldest grandchild, and our first time seeing the causeway bay through their bathroom window. my father brought home the usual treats we usually buy from our neighborhood asian store, but somehow they seem more fun when purchased in the motherland and hoarded in his luggage. Treats like pocky, pretz, mango gummies, and my favorite black currant pastilles, aka fruitips. He also brought us a dozen don tot molds and a perfect little cake especial to the season, a white lotus seed paste mooncake with double egg yolks. We saved it, and will be celebrating tonight by slicing it up into pieces just big enough for the three of us, unless you want a nibble.

One Comment

  1. I want a nibble! Asian sweets and goodies are the best. So yummy! Your comment about sharing reminded me of something my husband's grandfather used to always say: "Everything tastes better when shared." Very true but I still have a hard time sharing!