Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



This summer we celebrated baby jane's first birthday. It was simple and low key, we only invited immediate family. Since there are mostly adults in my family, we had a sushi party. My dad brought the seafood, my brother demonstrated the technique, my mother brought presents galore, and one of my sisters helped with the decor, entertainment, and brought two boxes of polaroids. I used this pizza party as inspiration for the brown wrapping paper on the table and it was a good choice, i love minimal clean up.

I originally thought sushi was a great idea but my nephew ended up making himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and I think my sister's boyfriend wanted to too, I tend to forget that some people don't like sushi. weirdos.

Here are a few more details.

 

sushi: sushi rice, cucumber, carrots, zucchini, avocado, enoki and shiitake mushrooms, cilantro, thai basil, shrimp and (imitation!) crab

 
brother showing off his skills, and baba making a burrito, i mean roll.

sauces: a tobiko sauce (sriracha and veganaise), mae ploy, wasabi, and Melissa's all veggie marinade (in her cookbook), lime chili oil and sriracha.

 

nibbles and drink: wasabi, kimchi and salted nori, rice cracker mix, edamame (not shown), coconut and original bin bin crackers, chocolate chip and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies from husband's clients (I'm not one to turn away free treats), strawberry lemonade pearl drinks.

birthday cake + ice cream: for Jane's individual cake I used karina's gluten free chocolate cupcake recipe, baked it in a round cake pan, trimmed the tops (the middle caved), cut it in slices, then layered it four times with this chocolate marshmallow icing and fresh blueberries. For the other cake I used a recipe I will never use again, it was a bit of a bomb. Someday I will find the perfect chocolate birthday cake recipe. I made coconut vanilla bean ice cream, and converted Melissa's fudge recipe (in her cookbook) into an ice cream (recipe here).


decor + entertainment: my mother's old lace living room curtains as a tablecloth, and a garland of white fabric flowers and origami cranes and butterflies. my sister brought her miyazaki collection as entertainment, but somehow nacho libre ended up being the movie of choice.


i made and hand dyed her birthday dress, i know crazy right? crazy fun.


We had a lot of fun, but the best part was watching her attack that cake. She was a little apprehensive at first, but once she decided it was safe to stick her face into, she was one happy and sugar comatose child. You should have heard the reaction when she showed us where her head was. smart cookie.


4 Comments

  1. So fun seeing pictures of your family. So much personality!!! Happy Birthday baby Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun party! I'd have eaten the sushi and anybody else's servings who didn't want some. ;) The cake is beautiful. What a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously, your family is adorable! such a sweet sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute pictures of your little one. And seriously, invite me over next time you make sushi. I love sushi and miss the wonderful sushi I enjoyed while living near the coast.

    ReplyDelete