Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




I thought I was genius when I made up the most incredible, perfectly seasonal, morning oatmeal. But then I was full of disappointment mixed with a smidgen of contentment when I found that instead, it was everywhere. I thought I was so clever, adding extra pumpkin to my oatmeal. That I was creating beauty, adding chopped nuts, some cinnamon, maple syrup until just perfectly sweet, and itty bitty currants to seal the deal. But no. I am not original. I am not genius, I'm not even clever because apparently pumpkin and spice in oatmeal is old news. People have been enjoying it for ages and I'm just late to the party. It doesn't matter though, I am glad I finally know, even if I had to figure it out for myself. Although next time there's something fantastic I don't know about, I'd appreciate the tip.

And if you're like me and haven't been introduced to the comfort of pumpkin and spice oatmeal, you're about to fall in love.


I have been loving walking past mounds of pumpkins as we visit the market, the babe even points and says "pump!" I originally made this because we had an excess of pumpkin puree, which is best if made on your own, but canned pumpkin will work too. The weather has been perfect for warm oatmeal in the mornings, especially this oatmeal. I will be in heaven the next two months as we celebrate my favorite time of year. Although I won't lie, the other seasons don't stand a chance when autumn fills the house with cinnamon and nutmeg, and sweaters are the required uniform.

so yes, i have embraced autumn. I'm so ready for october.


pumpkin and spice oatmeal

1 cup oatmeal
1 3/4 cup water
2/3 cup roasted sugar pumpkin puree
3 Tablespoons maple sugar or brown sugar, more to taste
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice
chopped almonds
dried currants or other fruit
cream or milk

Combine oatmeal and water, bring to a boil. Cook until thickened, add pumpkin, sweetener and spices. Mix well and taste, adjusting seasonings and sweetener to preference. Cook for a minute or two until warmed through.

Spoon into bowls, sprinkle a bit of nuts and currants on top, serve warm with cream and toast, maybe a mug of hot mulled cider?


notes:
- to make this extra creamy, boil the grains in milk instead of water.
- feel free to use any type of nut, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or a mix.
- dd a little honey and spices to the chopped nuts for even more spice.
- you can use other fruit as well, fresh apples, golden raisins, substitute to your heart's content.

regardless of type, we always add a little freshly ground flax and chia seeds (occasionally wheat germ) to our oatmeal, it's a given. what sort of add-ins do you do?


7 Comments

  1. I LOVE pumpkin in my oatmeal and confess to adding it year round. The currants sound like a nice addition, great photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try it this weekend! Maybe also cooking the oatmeal in almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your post. I do that all the time, think I'm doing something original and then find out it's been done a million times:) Your oatmeal looks fantastic, though and I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a simlar oatmeal last year and loved it!! Bring on the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. apparently i was out of the loop on this one too--it's new to me and looks delish! i'd definitely get out of bed on a chilly morning for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, I have never tried pumpkin with oatmeal, why not, it is surely a great idea and wakes up routine breakfast into something yummy and unique! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete