Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



friday: pick up day. i don't think you can imagine how happy I am, eating the produce that we are getting. just as great as my joy, is my sorrow for those who can't experience it. the tomatoes are the perfect balance of sweet, tart, and savory. I am hoping for the best in our own homegrown tomatoes, if they ever ripen.

I was excited to find these gems on our balcony. They're teeny, and you probably can't tell what they are. But they're our very own little strawberries. Seriously, they're tiny.



saturday: the babe & i headed down to our farmer's market in the morning to pick up a few things and see if there were any early peaches. There weren't, but there was a lot of zucchini, greens, root vegetables, and cherries. We picked up what we needed, then walked around a bit. I was reeled in by two charismatic men selling some seemingly normal guacamole. After talking for a bit, I found that they were selling the guac to earn proceeds for an educational charity. Troy Carter, the man behind the organization and proud creator of the recipe explained to me with enthusiasm and obvious devotion how it has been his dream to give directly to charities working in education like this one. It was their second week, and I wish them the best of luck. After tasting his guacamole I doubt he needs much luck at all, it's good. If you want to try some and support a good cause, you can order it online and pickup at the market.

somehow food with a purpose tastes better.

I had planned on attending the first seasonal foods class at Jacob's Cove farm but was otherwise detained (aka baby duty). did any of you go? how was it? isn't Melissa lovely?

 



 
Saturday night I attended the first ever cupcake conference in salt lake city. I am not a die hard cupcake fan, I'd rather have a big slice of pie a la mode or fresh fruit dessert, but I had wanted to attend the event since hearing about it and thankfully I got a last minute invite. It was hosted by the grand america (beautiful hotel!) and organized by these four lovely women. I was especially impressed that the bakery made both vegan and gluten free cupcakes. A thoughtful gesture since I figured I wouldn't be having any; and for the record, the vegan cakies were delicious. I was so happy to see Stephanie, Becky, and Emily again; and loved finally meeting BeckyMaria, Deborah and Quinn. It was a fun evening and this old body experienced its first "cupcakeover"well, sort of. one was enough to do me in.

and p.s. the event had awesome sponsors, we got some fun freebies! i think i would have been a lot happier though, winning that grand america spa package ;)

sunday: was an ordinary day. we attended church, had tomato sandwiches with raw zucchini and carrots for dinner, and I was inspired to make a few delicious things that will grace these pages. get excited.

oh, and kristin and fam are in town, so naturally we have some fun shenanigans planned. I love when they visit.


6 Comments

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I agree, food with a cause tastes better. At least I feel better eating it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were one of the highlights of the Cupcake Conference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get excited every pick-up day. I love figuring out how to prepare new types of squash that I've never even seen. Speaking of, how do you prepare the green squash that looks like a mini pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    great blog.Sounds like a wonderful weekend.thanks for sharing........


    James Parker….
    Chef Gulzar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooooo happy you got to come. And on such short notice. It is always a delight to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so nice to finally meet you, too! We definitely need to hang out sometime!

    ReplyDelete