Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



I had quite the soapbox written out about honesty and how the principle and it's consequences seem to be relevant in a number of recent conversations. But it was long winded, and heavy, and although it was what I felt, it was a bit too morose for my little food blog. To sum it up, "organic" doesn't mean chemical free, food labels mean very little, and proposed locally sourced restaurants may not be what they claim. Why is it so hard to know what you're really getting nowadays?

I like honest people and I like honest food. Food that is what it is, tastes like what it is. It's pretty easy to catch a poser tomato, and botox-ed cucumbers. And even though most of you and I have never met, never made a tangible connection other than you reading my thoughts and looking at what I've eaten, I think it's safe to say that you like honest people, and honest food too.

This meal is something you would find us eating for dinner on a tuesday, maybe wednesday night. The type of night when, being completely honest, the house has obviously been neglected (along with my hair), I haven't thought about what to make for dinner until the last minute, I can't remember what I've spent my day doing but I'm completely exhausted, all I really want to do is toss a frozen meal into the oven to reheat, I haven't fed the babe anything but bananas and peas all day, and I am wishing alice waters could come create a perfect meal for me. Of course I realize how silly and embarrassing that would be, her knowing I was a bit crazed.

Yes, we have days like this.

And they are why I am grateful for meals that look a little like I feel {read: mess} but taste like I hope to seem {read: in harmony}. Gratefully, after such a day, I take deep cleansing breaths and remind myself that I am only human, and tomorrow will be another day to put forth my genuinely best effort, yet again.



summer squash and corn pasta
adapted from chez panisse: vegetables

a few large summer squash, diced
2 to 3 cups sweet corn, preferably cut from the cob
a couple cloves garlic
a pinch or two crushed red pepper
a handful of cilantro, chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper

12 or so ounces cooked long skinny pasta (we used rice)

one lemon
cilantro to garnish

Saute squash in olive oil until tender and just browning. Add corn, garlic, and red pepper. cook for a few minutes then add cilantro, a bit of butter or olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add drained pasta, and toss. Just before serving spritz with lemon and garnish with cilantro.

p.s. i realize the photo isn't necessarily worthy of tastespotting, but after a bit of a hectic day it's the best i've got. fo'real.


One Comment