Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

There is only one thing I don't like about buying second hand. It's when I discover faults after I've brought the item home, cleaned it, and with much excitement, put it to use. Of course i realize that the flaw may be the very reason any item ends up in a secondhand store. Anyway, such was the case with this wooden bowl, the bottom has a significant crack that I don't think is easily repaired, and it's the reason for the fancy paper towel beneath it in this photo, to sop the seeping vinegar. I won't be using it for anything else containing liquid, but for popcorn and breads, maybe a remote or two, I think it will be a good fit. So I'm still on the lookout for a beautiful wooden bowl; holla back if you find one.

the food it carried was beautiful, and a quintessential summer side dish. although it too had a hidden flaw, the turnips were a bit bitter, probably because they're not at the peak of their season, even if they're still being sold at the market.

the recipe for roasted green beans with turnips and garlic is over at the zupas website today, check it out.
and if you're in town, sign up for the seasonal foods class i will be teaching tomorrow, it will make your weekend a wonderful one, to be sure.


  1. oh i feel you! i bought the cutest bowl from anthropology a few months ago and last night i noticed a crack on it's facade. {tears}.

    target seems to have great wood bowls...