Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



The weekend was filled with a number of wonderful things, can you tell i've been taking time to 'recover'?

we didn't make any plans for the holiday, but we live in the midst of our town's independence day celebrations so it was perfect for strolling over and joining the crowds. we didn't wake early enough to see the balloons off, but let's face it, even if the babe would have woken us up that early we would have spent the time dancing and playing in the big bed like every other morning. we did, however, make it to the parade.

living only a few streets away from the festival was ideal since the babe needed to come home for a refresher nap. afterward, i met my sister and we visited the husband at his booth, had a picnic, colored a few thank you letters to our troops, and met the talented justin hackworth before walking through his beautiful exhibit.

a few days before we picked up our first box of produce from jacob's cove, it was pretty exciting. The snap peas were so sweet, the squash small but beautiful, and the greens crisp and still covered with bits of earth. I stayed a little longer so the kids could play; me included. we played underdog on the swings and I simultaneously shooed the goats from munching on my purse. the kids showed me their house of stacked hay bales and we tried repairing a caved in roof due to over enthusiasm. we eventually gave up to the shade and empty swingset.

I brought the food home, rinsed it, and we have been eating most of it raw, in salads with homemade vinaigrette and anything mixed in, or wilted with a little sea salt and lemon over a toasted baguette. Tonight I braised some of the russian kale and chard with beet greens I got from the farmer's market. I added young onions, garlic, crushed red pepper and coriander, and served it with some lemon couscous, mashed carrots, and juicy cantaloupe. It wasn't documented because it's still a recovery day, and i don't work on recovery days. i try to enjoy every unintentional moment.

do you?


One Comment

  1. jen! your braised kale and chard with beet greens sounds delicious! I am using my kale today and can't wait to share.

    ReplyDelete