Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




I was so busy saturday afternoon I only took a handful of pictures after {almost} everyone was gone, only a few clothed tables were left standing, and I was ready for a nap. The babe made a new friend {not the goat} and they were inseparable the entire day, except naptime. Little Hannah really was the best baby sitter there could ever be. I got to talk to wonderful people, make some new friends, and of course came home with an increased excitement for the growing season and a nice tan; the farm version to be precise, I should have known.



I am sharing the recipes for the pesto and vinaigrette that Melissa and I shared with the visitors on the farm. I got a number of requests for it and so here it is. I think it's safe to say that most everyone enjoyed them. I especially loved finding two sisters hiding underneath my table, eating as much of the pesto as they could and shooing the farm cat 'tiger' away from their grub.

Amy was fantastic, making sure I always had enough greens to dress and she was out in the garden a handful of times picking the best of the best. Nothing like straight from the earth produce. If you missed the day out at the farm no worries, I am sure the Allred family is happy to have visitors, especially if you are willing to help with some weeding!


arugula spinach pesto
melissa chappell

1 C arugula, packed
1 C spinach, packed
1 or 2 medium cloves garlic, the younger the better
1/2 C almonds
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon or lime zest
1/2 C olive oil
Combine in food processor, pulse until smooth. Add more of any ingredient if you like, i.e. more oil to make thinner, zest to liven it up, etc.

Serve on pizzas, sandwiches, grilled meats, your morning eggs, in salads, with fresh veggies, kabobs or straight out of the bowl!


greens with berry vinaigrette

Various greens, freshly picked, rinsed
3 - 6 oz. berries {raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries}
juice of one orange or tangelo
splash of balsamic vinegar
oil (almond, coconut, olive)
honey
salt and pepper
almonds, cashews or walnuts, crushed and toasted or raw

Crush the raspberries well, add remaining ingredients in order except for almonds. Taste and alter measurements of ingredients as you go – i.e. if you want it sweeter add more honey, if you want it more piquant add more pepper; trust your taste buds! Toss with greens, top with crushed almonds and serve.

Dress the salad up by adding dried and/or fresh seasonal fruit, artisan bread ripped into small chunks, shredded root vegetables, whatever is in season and whatever you like, make it your own.


2 Comments

  1. Both of these were so yum! The farm was great, and it was great to have you there making food! How happy does that make me? Super happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you being happy makes me happy. ♥

    ReplyDelete