Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




For our memorial day bar-b-que we had a picnic with my sisters and tried a burger the husband "dreamed up", although I think he must have subconsciously heard about it from somewhere else. They were portabello mushroom burgers with only a portabello instead of meat. Don't be fooled like my sister treen was, it's not a burger with mushrooms atop a slab of thigh but only a mushroom, dressed as a slab of thigh would; and it was good. I'm willing to bet no one else at the park we went to was bar-b-queuing anything like these bad boys. I am also willing to bet they spent a lot more time on their meals than we did, I like not having to prep meat.

Paired with these baked sweet potato fries, I'm thinking this will be a regular at our bbq's this summer, although I have been dreaming up a veggie burger patty that will rock my world. I am sure it will grace the pages of this blog in the coming months. Check out today's zupas post for my baked sweet potato fries recipe.


Of course if you like, you can add one of these atop a beef patty, there are no real rules around here, just guidelines and suggestions really. I think next time we might add caramelized onions, doesn't that sound good?

portabello mushroom burger
4 large portabellos, rinsed and dry
a few Tablespoons of your favorite bbq sauce or marinade
your favorite cheese (provolone/sheep's)
1/2 head lettuce
1 tomato, sliced
2 avocados, sliced
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
pico di gallo
salt and pepper
mustard and ketchup
4 hamburger buns

It's easiest if you rinse the mushrooms the night before.

Grill the mushrooms as you would a burger patty (no other prep needed!), brushing the marinade or bbq sauce with each turn. When they're grilled and heated through put on a hamburger bun, add preferred condiments and enjoy with a side of sweet potato fries.


One Comment

  1. They look delicious! And I've got some sweet potato fries in the oven right now. :)

    ReplyDelete