Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



It may just be me but it seems as though the last dozen holidays have sprung up on me like old photos of my junior year in high school. I have been unprepared and ill fitted for their arrival, then I am scrambling at the last moment to pull things together so I don't seem surprised/embarrassed. More often than not I just brush the few preparations I have done aside and let things happen as they will, and for the most part I do like spontaneity.

Our nation's Independence day is coming up, only days away, and here I am sharing with you something completely unrelated. It's not a thematic salute to my lovely country, or a colorfully patriotic goodie to share at your holiday bar-be-que. I'm not even sharing an actual meal with you; just a snack I made up to imitate (and transcend) something I saw in a bulk bin at the market. Just a nibble; but a good nibble.


I made some of these to take on our trip to California, but they didn't even make it to the airport. For some reason I cannot think of what type of pretzel these are called; wafer? weave? Yes my mind was this bad before the babe. This could easily be a gluten free snack, if you use gluten free pretzels of course. I don't usually add the extra coconut around the edges when I'm making them in droves, but it's pretty and reminds me of snowflakes which I'm not excited for just yet, but I know my attitude will likely change come August.


honey nut preztel-wiches

mini criss-cross pretzels
1/2 - 2/3 cup nut butter
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
dash of vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Mix the nut butter, sweetener, vanilla, and salt together until smooth, add the coconut and mix well. Let sit for a couple minutes and stir again. If it's still too runny, not coming together, add a little more coconut. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator until chilled, about a half hour or overnight at the longest. Spoon a little of the mixture onto a pretzel, sandwich it with another pretzel, roll in coconut flakes or sugar (totally optional) and put in baggy/eat. Store in refrigerator.


Leave a Reply