Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you to plant a garden. - Orson Scott Card

I may not be exactly unemployed but I am home every day, and what better thing to add to my day than a little playtime in the dirt? We can thank the itty bitty ones for the inspiration. I swear jane eats a little dirt every day; they're like her vitamins. This is my first time doing a garden on my own. My parents had a garden just about every year growing up, and I have fond (and some not so fond) memories of weeding, watering, planting, sowing, being barefoot in the dirt, debugging, and watching for the fruit of mostly my parents' labor to emerge.

As I have been studying out and researching how to start my own small garden, I have learned a lot and have even more to learn. I mentioned before that I wanted to grow a chemical free garden, and I am glad there are so many resources out there telling me the how's what's and why's. I want to share some of those with you, along with a few things I have learned in my beginning life as a gardener. We're going on three months now.


The importance of good soil. If you have quality soil, you will do less problem solving in the weeks ahead; build healthy delicious food from the ground up.

The importance of good seed. It just makes sense that to have a healthy, thriving plant, you must start with healthy seed. Survival of the fittest, no?

That there is quite a difference between organic and chemical free. And given the choice, I want to be chemical free; even if it is a little more work.

That there are countless ways to raise healthy plants without chemicals, plant derived and synthetic. My mind wants to bust from the amount of it all. Some of them are very creative and entertaining too. I am grateful for the people who already know all those ways and share it with the little people like me.

If you don't know anything about anything, someone else will. I have asked countless questions of local farmers at the market and IFA/garden center employees, to the point where I can sense when I need to let them have a day or five before I return with more questions.

Sometimes you just need to go with your gut and see what happens. There are so many ways to grow food, and every type has an unbelievable amount of information and people with suggestions and opinions; it can be so overwhelming. I finally had to just do something because if I'd have waited until I had all the information I wanted to feel confident, I'd have never  started. It's kind of like parenting/cooking/life that way.

resources that i have found helpful:

Rodale's chemical free yard and garden
organic gardening website
building good soil
organic gardening guru
square foot gardening handout from a neighbor, this might help.
my mom.


2 Comments

  1. Thanks Jen! This is my second year doing an organic garden and it's working out great!! The first year was roughn and didn't grow much but this year the plants are doing great! Thanks for sharing your information-I'll have to read over the links you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenny,
    I love your quote. I'm stealing it for the day :)
    Worthy

    ReplyDelete