Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

What a fun weekend, I am glad that the holiday part of it was sunny. I didn't even mind yesterday's rain, which is normal. I love the rain.

I have had a couple requests for a good curry recipe. Trouble is, every time we make it, it is different.  I seldom measure, and we use vegetables that we have readily available, which means the ingredient list is always changing from season to season. I must get my fickle-ness from my father.

When my friend megan told me she would be coming for dinner, and that she wanted to learn how to make curry, I made preparations shopping for the perfect ingredients, mise en place, and assuring that the babycakes would be entertained during the cooking lesson. Turned out she couldn't come after all. I was sad, but mostly for her because she missed out. I guess it was just as well because I ended up making it the haphazard way I always do, adding this and that, a little more here, a little more there and a bit of a mess everywhere.

Thankfully I was able to translate my whirlwind of a dish into a coherent recipe, so this one's for you megan; make it for the husband and knock his socks off. Be sure to add your favorite things here and there as needed and according to taste. It's the most important tip of any cooking lesson.

could you have guessed that it was with sweet potato? what gives it away that we're obsessed?

sweet potato curry

1/2 onion, sliced
a couple stalks celery, sliced
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil

2 carrots, chopped
1 large sweet potato (about 1/2 lb.), cubed
1 1/2 cup water or stock
1 Tablespoon your favorite curry powder

1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 broccoli stalk, cut into small pieces
1/2 small head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces
1 cup or so coconut milk, warm

1 teaspoon salt
big drizzle sesame oil
small drizzle chili oil
juice of half a lime or lemon
a few kale leaves, stems removed and roughly chopped

Saute onion, garlic and celery together until fragrant. Add carrot, sweet potato, water and curry powder. Bring to a boil and cover, cooking for about ten minutes until potatoes are soft.

Add pepper strips, broccoli, cauliflower and coconut milk until vegetables are just cooked, not soft. Add salt, sesame oil, chili oil and lime to taste. Add kale leaves right before serving, just so they wilt a little.

Serve over couscous, rice, or other grains; garnish with coconut flakes and toasted brazil nuts.

This would be wonderful with a kaffir lime leaf or two. Add it with the coconut milk, remove before serving.


  1. This sounds amazing! I love curry and sweet potatoes. I can imagine that it would be a sweet curry. It will be on my list to try soon!

  2. I love sweet potatoes. Great curry dish!

  3. Mmmmmm. I heart curry. I think I'll make it sometime soon. Nothing like some good curry to spice up your life!!

  4. Mmm. I had pumpkin curry the other day at our favorite thai place (although I don't know how thai pumpkin is...) - I bet this is very similar. Yum. I love the idea of serving it with couscous instead of rice.