Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I have been enjoying having my newest cookbook, although I have yet to actually follow a recipe. However I have made a number of meals inspired by the ingredient lists, photos and general meal ideas in the book. Arrogant of me, I know. As I read through each recipe I hear Ina herself, calmly walking me through each step, giving me a personal lesson on how things should be prepared. I can even visualize myself accomplishing each step with loveliness reminiscent of her own. Then in reality, after I've completely disregarded her instructions and skipped corners so I can have dinner finished in half the time to temper a fussy baby, or finish the dishes from breakfast, or feed the babe something other than rice cakes, Ina lovingly assures me that my way was probably the better way in the end.

But let's face it, I'm only talking to myself.

However there is something to gain if you manage to make a delicious meal. One where the consumers praise it before the first bite has even been swallowed. This my friends, is that meal. It is one that you can make with a baby intermittently on your hip and the entire contents of your tupperware drawer on the kitchen floor peppered with dirty cutlery from your dishwasher and a stuffed monkey or two. That's my kind of tested and true. I'll get around to trying her recipes word for word one of these days.

If you are wanting more substance (aka meat) add some prosciutto, ham or other salty meat, although it's just as good without.

lemon broccoli with orzo

1 cup orzo, dry
olive oil
1/2 an onion, thinly sliced
2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 crown broccoli, cut into smaller pieces
a few sprigs of basil (2-4 Tablespoons)
1 lemon
salt and pepper
raw almonds, chopped

Cook the orzo in salted water, drain, and place in large bowl.

Saute onion and garlic in a glug of oil for a few minutes until aromatic and the onions are just clear. Add the broccoli and cover, steaming for a few minutes. When the broccoli is bright green and softened enough (with a bit of a crunch when you bite into it) remove from heat, add to orzo.

Chiffonade the basil and add. Combine all ingredients well. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the pasta, season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped almonds.

notes - you can change this by using other vegetables (zucchini, green beans, pumpkin), use any kind of citrus (lime, orange, etc.), substitute the basil with another herb (sage, lemon basil, parsley), and even change the pasta to one that is gluten free or another grain like amaranth, quinoa or millet.

Feel free to garnish with a bit of paremsan as well.

and if you're wondering, i found a pencil and the nose book in the tupperward drawer today. she likes to help clean up too.


  1. I love orzo salads, this one looks like a winner!

  2. I can definitely relate to how you think. Ina is always helping me out in my mind but when it comes down to it I just do whatever I want. Sometimes it's okay and sometimes it's not so much okay. This orzo looks dang good!

  3. i love ina and i love this cookbook. have you tried the roasted butternut squash salad...SO good!