Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I have had wonderful and very dear friends in my quarter century lifetime, including a handful of best friends; but my college roommate was my Diana. From the day we met we were inseparable, and I eventually moved in with her the next semester. We had countless adventures together, and shared a lot of recipes. A few months before I married the love of my life, she invited me to spend a week with her in her hometown. I immediately felt like a part of her family and fell in love with the midwest.

Since then we've continued to stay close. We took a number of road trips together, watched a number of television series together, she was married to the love of her life, we discovered we were pregnant with our first born children in the same week, they were born eleven days apart, and good food continues to be a part of it all. I will call to get a recipe, but then after talking for a while discover I had it all along. I often wonder if I am subconsciously misplacing them just to have another excuse to call and chat, other than no excuse at all.

Last year she sent me a copy of her family's cookbook in electronic form and not long after, brought me a spiral bound copy. It was the ultimate gesture of friendship and love. Husband and I were even on the front cover photo with her family, how cute is that?

This sweet bread is a recipe from that cookbook. I made a few alterations from the original recipe, adding in some orange dust my dearest foodie friend lan sent me a while back. She is so thoughtful and talented, check out what she sent the babes. The orange dust was a perfect addition, it was my best neighbor's favorite part of the bread, f'real.

i love good friends, even more than this bread.

orange poppy seed sweet bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup spelt flour (okay to substitute with all purpose)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon orange dust (optional)
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
1 cup and 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, canola oil, butter or shortening
1 cup raw or granulated sugar
3 eggs*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cup milk (any kind)

In a medium bowl sift together flours, salt, and baking powder twice. Add orange dust and poppy seeds.

In bowl of a mixer, cream together oil and sugar, add eggs one at a time followed by vanilla and almond extracts. Alternate milk and dry ingredients until smooth.

Fill two buttered or parchment lined loaf pans, bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden. Let cool completely in pan.

note: if you are using paper loaf pans, increase heat by about 25 degrees.

*or 3 enerG egg replacer eggs plus 1 T milk

orange glaze 
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Combine and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over completely cooled bread, sprinkle some orange dust on top and enjoy!


  1. Sweet post! It makes me miss my best friend.

  2. you are so sweet! perfect usage of the orange dust, the picture looks divines.

    best friends are the greatest, yours sounds wonderful.

  3. we will always stay in touch! we need to live in the same state. Thanks for calling this morning, you are the bestest!

  4. Why can't I be Anne? you're always Anne... ;) It's because I have bigger hands, isn't it?

  5. kris- fine you're anne, but i doubt you're the one with smaller hands... ;)

  6. This bread looks so yummy. Now I'm totally craving it! Yay for best friends and college roommates!

    P.S. My post about Raw Melissa's workshop will finally go live tomorrow. It's about time!

  7. Jen-excited to try this recipe! I haven't used spelt flour before and am looking forward to using it in a recipe!

    Also, the coconut almond cupcakes you made awhile back were a hit at my class tonight, although I could NOT get the frosting to turn out. Thanks for a great blog!!


  8. emily - loved the post!
    traci - oh no! did you whip it again after it was chilled? i hate when recipes don't work out, it's like a lightning storm when you're in desperate need of sunshine.