Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

any fun plans for the holiday weekend?

For us, memorial day is not only a day when we remember all the people who have come and gone touching our lives and leaving beloved memories; it's also a kick-off to summer. Most schools (around here) have finished, and the weather resembles the warmest season of the year (except this week, snow on monday?!). People go camping, have barbeques, and spend time with family and friends.

If you're in need of an easy dessert that serves a lot of people, never fear, I've got your back. today's zupas post is a recipe I got from my friend chelsea mahuika. our husband's served in the same mission and although that meant we became acquaintances by force, she's amazing and so sweet, so naturally i consider her a friend. I've seldom been afraid to ask for a dish I have enjoyed as a guest, I wonder if that's bad guest manners? This is one of those recipes I was unashamed to beg ask for. Thanks again chelsea, we use it all summer long.

Before you head out the door for your (hopefully) sunny holiday weekend, don’t forget dessert. We love whipping up this cake for gatherings and potlucks. It’s easy to make, and the perfect throw together dessert when you want something simple and delicious. Serve it with fresh fruit and cream. It can be whipped, frozen, or in liquid form. I would love to try it with this crema catalina foam; doesn’t it sound posh?

Bring on summer.

brown sugar cake
from chelsea mahuika

2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter/margarine, soft (we used coconut oil)
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (any milk with juice of half a lemon)
splash of vanilla

Cut brown sugar, butter flour and salt together like pie dough, until pea sized crumbs. Set aside one cup.
With the rest of the mixture add soda, egg, milk and vanilla mixing well. Spread in 10×15 jelly pan. Sprinkle with rest of the crumb mixture.

Bake 25 - 30 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven.

take note: 
the photo is of two slices, stacked atop each other.


  1. I'm at the CBC enjoying myself. Yay! And on Monday we'll be doing the zoo or something local. It's a staycation for us!

  2. Jen, I've been getting all this traffic from Zupas website...thanks :)

    This is the best recipe ever. Luckily my Grandma Lybbert has been making it for YEARS. We need to see you guys again SOON. It's been way too long.