Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



Don't be fooled. Yes, this cake looks lovely, moist, delicious, and a perfect dessert to ring in the new beautiful spring season. However the texture was less than desirable. The recipe, calling for polenta, doesn't clarify the coarseness of grain so I used the type you find in bulk sections of health food stores. The kind I use when making this. The cake would have turned out perfectly if I'd have used a finer grind or even cornmeal. The polenta didn't soak up all the moisture from the honey and juices, so it was grainy and crunchy, the type of crunchy you get when your rice isn't completely cooked. Instead of savoring the light lemon taste and should-have-been light texture, I was concentrating on grinding the polenta grains without getting them stuck in between my molars. It took much more work to eat than any cake should.

That being said it was delicious, and moist, and had a sweet, light flavor that would be perfect for a sunny spring picnic or easter sunday lunch.  I don't think I'll give up hope on this cake, because it deserves another chance. Plus you achieve great things by learning from failure; amirite?


5 Comments

  1. Awwwww. I was so excited for the lemony yumminess. *sigh* Ohs well =\

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Becky... she said she's not giving up hope. So don't you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drat, I hate it when that happens. Especially since you snapped such a lovely picture! I'll remember your note to use a fine grain or cornmeal. Looks beautiful anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo- you know i'ma make this again. and soon! Listen to Jayme, she's a voice of positive reason :)

    Andrea - you are so sweet, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/ApplePie

    Ready set make that next =D

    ReplyDelete