Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

For the past few weeks, tuesday has been my monday. This week, my monday will fall on thursday since our weekend is five days long. This is as close as we're going to get to a spring break. Husband scheduled the extra days off as a small part of my birthday present, I celebrated my twenty fifth this past weekend. My brother asked me if I felt old then described exactly how I felt when he said, 'i'm almost thirty but i feel twenty five'. I still feel nineteen; doesn't say much for my maturity level.

My family celebrates birthdays by month, we had the march birthday party a few weeks ago so the actual day was a quiet one, and a seemingly ordinary day. It was just the way I wanted to celebrate; me, my two favorite people, a good dinner, a little cake, and some great tele.

At our family party my mother bought me some "real" ice cream and made a chocolate cake. The ice cream was good, especially since the tofu and cashew kinds I made before were; under par. This weekend I decided to make a lemon yogurt cake, yes I made my own birthday cake. In Aaron's defense he wasn't home all day, busy with other responsibilities, and of course I enjoy baking and cooking (hence this food blog), when I don't have to clean up.

The lemon yogurt cake was moist, delicious, and had a lovely flavor. The texture was almost pound cake-like and had a nice crumb to it, it was even more dense the day. And nothing stopped me from from indulging in a mid morning nibble. I can eat cake for breakfast, it's my birthday.

Well, it was.

lemon yogurt cake
adapted from this recipe

1 cup sugar
1 cup plain soy yogurt
1/3 cup oil or applesauce
1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
2 - 3 teaspoons vanilla
juice of one lemon
zest of two lemons

1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Combine sugar, yogurt, oil, milk, vanilla, juice and zest well. Double sift the flours, baking soda and baking powder in a separate bowl.

Work fast, combining wet to dry. Mix just until combined. You won't have to go super fast, but you won't have time to search for lady gaga's latest outfit.

Pour into a greased bundt pan, bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 - 35 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean. The cake was barely sunken, it's possible that baking it at a little higher temperature will relieve that.

Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack or right onto the cake plate. Drizzle with lemon "buttercream" glaze - a little lemon juice (from second lemon) mixed with soy milk or yogurt; whisk in powdered sugar until to desired consistency.


  1. Mmm, I love all types of lemon cake. The pound cake quality is probably my fave because of the texture. This one seems almost healthy too! Happy birthday!

  2. Happy Birthday!!!! Twenty-five was hard for me, but not as hard as twenty-nine! (Ack.) My birthday was on Saturday. Do we share a b-day? When was yours?

    Your cake looks delicious. My favorite part of my birthday is making my own cake. (My husband probably couldn't even make a cake mix.)


  3. Happy Birthday Jen!! Don't they say that 25 is the perfect age? At least, that's what I think the Millionaire Matchmaker says ;-) I love citrus cakes, and your pictures is so lovely.

  4. thanks for the birthday wishes!
    lindsey - happy birthday!! i'm a day after you. and you better watch out, he might make one just to prove you wrong.