Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

While the majority of people are sharing their favorite Irish pubs and green colored recipes to celebrate the holiday for the patron saint, I am going to join the ranks and share a green recipe we tried and loved. As well as a few ways our kitchen has a tint of 'green', and no I'm not talking about paint color.


The last two dishes have both included sweet potatoes, which wasn't planned, but then they're delicious so why not? It's Jane's food of choice so we're always stocked, although spinach and applesauce is climbing the chart. If you haven't already noticed I have been sharing much less meat recipes, and slightly more vegetarian/almost vegan foods. We have been eating a lot less meant and tell people it's because we ran out of meat and just didn't buy any more, but really it's because I have increased support from my better half about my changing food ideas and preferences. But more on that later.

For more festive green food try this, and this.

sweet potato and spinach strudel
adapted from healthy eating

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
4 cups spinach, blanched and drained
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, slightly toasted
3 green onions, chopped
3/4 cup black olives, crushed
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
1 package filo pastry, thawed
olive oil
sesame seeds

Drizzle a little oil on the sweet potato cubes, roast with the garlic cloves in preheated 375 degree oven until soft and browned. Remove from oven and let cool, just barely. Chop the garlic cloves, then mix them with the potato, spinach, pumpkin seeds, green onions, olives, basil, and rosemary. Season with a little freshly ground pepper and salt, if needed.

Roll out filo sheets on top of plastic wrap and cover with a slightly damp towel (not too wet). Take each sheet and brush lightly with olive oil, stack a new sheet on top, brush with oil, and repeat until you have 5 sheets. Spoon a quarter of the potato mixture in the middle of the filo sheets, wrap up like a burrito tucking the ends last and set on parchment lined cookies sheet, seam side down. You should be able to make 4 wraps.

Brush with a little oil, sprinkle sesame seeds on top, bake in 375 degree oven until browned and crispy, about 15-20 minutes.

Serve hot with a b├ęchamel sauce. My b├ęchamel is made with an oil and flour roux, and as it bubbles I add rice milk and vegetable stock, whisking until thick. Then it's seasoned with freshly ground black pepper. Dairy free and delicious!

Here are a few ways our kitchen is a little 'greener':
I've always tried to cook and bake with as many organic, and local products as possible; budget permitting.
I never go grocery shopping without this list.
I bought a basil plant this year, -my first! the color, smell and fact that I have a living source of food makes me happy.
This year will be the first time we try our hand at chemical-free gardening. We're working on it next week for my birthday, my gift of choice.
We are also starting a vermicompost bin where all my kitchen scraps will end up, we will be raising happy worms.
I recycle as much as I can, and I continually get complaints from the husband about my piles of various recyclables that get in the way. Utah County needs a recycling program, fast.
We clean green. I like this little download of "cleaning with green" tips and ideas. Get rid of that bleach!


How are you trying to be a little greener?


2 Comments

  1. Love this! Stumbling it right now! I am a sucker for sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using organic cotton prevents insecticides and pesticides from being sprayed in the air which saves our atmosphere.
    Organic Baby Products

    ReplyDelete