Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



There's only one way to describe the weather lately around here. blah. Yesterday was windy, smoggy from a fire, and even though I was in the wind for a total of five minutes (adding together the jogs in and out of the two grocery stores visited) my eyes stung the entire day. Today it is dark and rainy with occasional snowfall here and there. isn't it almost April? and we are to expect more stormy weather in the days coming. I postponed a lunch date with a friend because of today's weather. I baked, sang disney songs, and went on a couple bear hunts instead.

This soup is just what we needed with such gloomy scenery. It's a play on the traditional potato leek soup, or vichyssoise, and I didn't even make it; my talented {husband} did. I know, impressive right? I love the sweet potato in this soup, its sweetness is wonderfully subtle and the texture is silky smooth. It's a perfectly cozy soup for blustery days, and would be equally wonderful chilled for the days I will be talking about, come late July.

and yes; i know. more sweet potato.
yum.

sweet potato leek soup
1 large leek or 2-3 small leeks
2 celery stalks
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
olive oil
2 large sweet potatoes
1 quart stock
1/2 - 3/4 cup rice milk (or half and half)
sour cream thinned with milk
fresh scallions or chives
freshly grated nutmeg

Clean and thinly slice the white part of the leek -chop up the green and add to your compost bin. :) Cube the sweet potatoes and chop the celery. In a saucepan heat 2-3 glugs oil; add leek, celery and garlic. Saute until fragrant and leek is soft. Add potatoes and stock, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes until potatoes are soft. Blend with either immersion blender or in a standing blender until smooth. Add in milk and more stock until  soup gets to desired consistency; heat through. Garnish with thinned sour cream, chives and a teensy pinch of nutmeg. Serve hot.

This is really very good with a quality loaf of pumpernickel.

p.s. i took one hundred four different shots of this soup before ending up with the one you see. excessive much?


5 Comments

  1. Well it's a gorgeous picture and sometimes you just have to take a couple hundred =). Also, I'm glad to hear that your talented is making things these days. I was worried about your talented being kind of lazy.

    "It's a play on the traditional potato leek soup, or vichyssoise, and I didn't even make it; my talented did."


    Sissy Sauce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture! What a lucky girl to have a nice hubby to make it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, colorful, comforting soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I will definitely be trying this out. I am almost hoping for a gloomy day now!

    I also think the 104 photos were worth it!

    ReplyDelete