Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I knew my husband was the one when he would eat with my family, both at restaurants and at my parents' home. He wasn't afraid to try everything, the seafood (fish, octopus, etc.), the pig and chicken feet, ox tongue, and daikon and coconut cakes. He not only tried them all, but liked most of them too.  Of course there were a handful other times I knew he was the one but then if I got started on that I would go on all day and never get back on track.

Friends of mine growing up (boyfriends included) would have a difficult time trying foods I loved and ate my whole life, coconut cake was one of them. The texture was what got them, they weren't used to eating gummy spongey cakes. They would relate it to nasty inedible things, and sometimes gagged when trying it the first time. But I hope you won't let such negative opinions sway you from trying this cake. It's a favorite in my family and the best way to eat it is also the easiest, straight from the pan right after its made. It makes me smile when aaron cuts off a chunk and eats it with his fingers, even if it is a little barbaric.

coconut cake
1 can coconut milk
1 box (or 1 pound) of sweet rice flour (like mochiko brand by blue star)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 1 1/4 cup water
pinch of salt

Mix coconut milk, flour, sugar, vanilla and salt together. Add water while whisking until the batter is smooth.  Pour into greased or parchment lined cake pan and place in steamer.

Steam for about 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean (not gluey).  The time will be determined by the heat of your steamer.

To serve: Either eat right away while still soft, or cut into pieces (this is much easier after it's been refrigerated for a few hours), dip in egg, and pan fry until soft and golden.


  1. Jen... I'm so sorry you had to come over to my blog to hunt me down! I dont know how I missed the results of the contest but I'm SO SO happy I won the apron, THANK YOU!!

    I tried clicking on the link to email you but it wouldnt work, so here's my email...

    shoot me an email and I'll send ya my address... thanks again!

  2. Mmmmmmmm!!! Best ever!! I'm eating some pan fried ones right meow!!

    P.S. my capchya word is "painaise" taty tasty painaise!!

  3. I make this with my daughters all the time. We call this chichi dango. It's Japanse mochi or rather the American/Hawaii version of Japanese mochi. Never made it in this type of pan, always in a glass 9x13. I'll try in a smaller pan and maybe it won't be as dry.

  4. sephalo - the email link only works if you have outlook installed. will be sending you a letter soon!

    boo- inoriiiite? mmmm..

    cmjhawaii - do you bake it? after you refrigerate the steamed cake it will be drier, but if you warm it up before eating, it is moist and soft again.