Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



During my wheat hiatus I discovered something wonderful, that there are a number of incredible grains out there significantly superior to wheat. I didn't realize how completely my life revolved around that specific grain. An entire world of taste I never knew was opened to me. It is diverse, colorful, and so very delicious. Just think about it, when you visualize dinner, how often do you use wheat flour in one of its numberless forms, or rice, or potatoes?  Have you ever tried quinoa, or millet, or amaranth as the bulk of your meal? If not, there is quite a lot that you are missing out on, and I speak from firsthand experience.  As annoying as it was, I'm grateful for the wakeup call that opened my eyes to all the delicious alternatives available to me.

Variety is the spice of life, add some to yours.


This polenta is creamy, and delicious alongside any vegetable dish for a big lunch or light dinner. Try using water mixed with a little maple syrup in place of the stock for a sweeter version.  It's even good cold.

Try this article for an idea on what to pair together for making complete proteins if you're trying to eat less meat.

creamed polenta
2 cups your favorite kind of stock
2 cups almond milk
1 cup polenta
olive, sesame or truffle oil (optional)

heat broth and milk to boiling, whisk in polenta and cook until thickened. Drizzle with oil for a bit of richness.


5 Comments

  1. Gorgeous photo. I really enjoy polenta. I will have to try it with almond milk. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been all about couscous lately but I should try some polenta...mmm. Thanks for the warm baby wishes...just saw your Xmas card...omg, she is adorable! Little Jane, awww. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you know if masa corn meal is the same as polenta? i'm guessing the difference is in how finely it's ground. we've loved quinoa lately but find it's more expensive that the old standards. i agree about variety and spice, but sometimes the budget says no spice. :( looking forward to reading about what you learn from you dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried quinoa one time and it tasted so good! I was surprised to find out how expensive it was though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sarah- you're correct, masa is more finely ground. so no it's not the same, sorry. :/

    And I agree, it is a little more expensive for other grains, but worth incorporating as often as you can!

    ReplyDelete