Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



So friday night was the first pizza night since october - still haven't figured the cheeseless pizza thing. I decided to venture into other types of dairy since I'd read and heard from others that goat's milk dairy was less of a bother to baby systems. But since eating our goat cheese, pear and prosciutto pizza she's been spitting up again after every meal, something she hasn't done for a while. Of course it could have been the green beans we fed her for the first time yesterday, or maybe it was the tamales we've been eating for the past two nights, although it's probably from sucking on tomato slices and carrot sticks. Regardless, she's been sleeping for almost 8 hour stretches, so I'm not complaining, and that pizza was pretty yummy even if the photo isn't the greatest.


I got some samples of various sugars, vanilla beans and truffle oil from this company a couple months ago to try and review. Since then I've been trying them on various things, and my most exciting sample was a jar of olive oil infused with white truffle. I'd never tasted, smelled or even really seen truffle oil before but had always heard of it and how wonderful it is. When I opened the bottle to drizzle on our pizza the smell alone was so rich, I was sick after a few minutes. The taste, however was subtle and delicious although I still can't imagine using it with a dessert.

I know I have a couple pizza dough versions, this is the fourth. I will admit this one is my favorite, but sometimes I don't have it in stock -aka my freezer, or I don't think far enough in advance. This one was scribbled on a scrap of paper while watching this episode of martha stewart - it airs at 2am here, and it's been my go to recipe ever since. I love it because it's pure, and simple, and delicious. I'd eat it plain; and I do.

yet another pizza dough
from jim lahey
1 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon yeast
large pinch of salt

Combine ingredients, cover and let sit for a couple hours in oven with light on (don't turn the oven on) until doubled. Take out onto floured work surface, fold in half, cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let sit for a half hour to an hour. Roll out or toss, top with desired delicacies, bake on pizza stone for 15-20 minutes at 500-525 degrees.

I have to bake mine at 400 degrees because the first time i used my new pizza stone, it split in half from the high heat. They sent a replacement, but I wish I could use higher heat, it makes a great pizza.


4 Comments

  1. We love making pizza at home, we will have to try your recipe. Grilling the pizza is our favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a yummy recipe for a crust that's all vegetarian. Surprisingly, it's one of the best pizza crusts I've ever had. I'll have to send it to you. It's super easy.

    As for the dairy thing (as far as cheese goes), have you ever tried VeggieShreds? It's mozzarella flavored and I get it at Good Earth. It is processed and contains casein (which adds a little amount of lactose), so maybe not ideal, but it works real well on pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pizza stone split? How thick is it? It should be able to withstand 500ºF. Good Earth is a great place for grains and organic foods; you should look into it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maria- sounds so good!

    mandy- casein(the milk protein) is what upsets jane, i have tried their vegan cheese, but it doesn't melt...!

    frieda - it was a gift, a pampered chef stone, and it's the thinnest stone I've ever seen, but it gets the job done. i agree, good earth and sunflower are the best. it's where i find all my dairy free foods, those places and costco, surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete