Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I realized today that it has been two years (to the day!) since I started this little food blog of mine; time sure does fly. Thank you for everyone who actually reads all my ramblings and better yet enjoys them! I guess since it's the second year anniversary, and I forgot to celebrate the first (for good reason!), my gift is two posts in one day. i know, craziness right?

Over the lifetime of this little food blog of mine I don't think I've written about anything specific, besides food. Meaning I don't think there's a particular niche that my little food blog fits into. It's not centered around low fat recipes, or written for people who are continually rushed for time, it's not even all about the sweet stuff although that seems to be the majority of what's being consumed in our home. I just write about food I love, and it seems continually interlaced with tradition, memories, and family.

I'm not sure where this little blog will go in the next year, or what niche it will conform to, if any at all. But I do know that I will keep writing about what I love, good food.

Before I get to the main course, dessert first; of course. here's the very first recipe I published.  It was neither my own recipe, or my own photography, but it's a decadent cookie to bake and inhale. Now a handful of cookie, cake and candy recipes later, I give you a savory recipe that is also delicious.

I called my mother in law too many times for this simple and delicious recipe, although I don't think she cared much since she got to hear Jane squealing, crying and blabbering in the background each time. There's a magical connection between a mommer and her little grand. They love when you squeeze them til they make a noise.

This takes a while to cook, a few hours at least, so plan accordingly. Although you can start it around noon and it will be finished by dinnertime. I think this would also do well in a slow cooker. It's homey and delicious, and just as good the second day after sitting on top of the washer in the freezing garage all night. And from one friend to another, don't forget to take your beano before you eat. I'm just sayin'...

ham n' beans
from mommer j

1 lb. beans (navy, red, pinto, whatever)
1 ham hock in all it's glory
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 large shallots, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
a sprig of fresh thyme, minced like whoa
a Tablespoon or two olive oil
10+ cups beef/chicken/vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste

Rinse beans in strainer taking out any rocks or questionable objects, let drip dry until needed.
Heat the oil in stock pot, add celery, shallots, garlic and thyme until fragrant. Add the rinsed beans and let cook for a minute or two stirring occasionally. Add the hock and stock :) bring to a boil. When it comes to a rolling boil, cover and reduce heat so the beans simmer. Let the beans stew for about six hours, stirring and adding stock as needed, until the beans are soft and the sauce is thick (but not too thick, it will thicken as it cools).

Serve with your favorite loaf or some yummy rolls.

Apparently you can ask your local butcher for ham hocks, you don't have to eat an entire ham just to make these from the left overs. Although each of the two times I've tried, they didn't have any. Get there early.


  1. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! Happy 2nd Birthday blog of doom and glory!!!! It's fitting that today you got your own gosh dang fan page on Facebook!! High five!

    [Side note: Your leave a comment message still says happy Christmas]

  2. Congrats on 2 years! Beautiful pictures by the way...

  3. happy 2nd bday!

    i like this recipe due to it's low maintenance.

    are canned beans ok to use?

  4. thanks magen!
    lan - I'm sure canned beans would work great, and it'd be super fast. although when the beans are cooking for a great length of time something in them thickens the soup. so I'd use less stock, and add the canned beans after boiling and simmering the hock until the meat etc. falls off. lemme know if it turns out!

  5. lan - did a little research. here's a link to a canned ham & bean recipe, looks pretty much the same except the tomato sauce and bean mushing step.