Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!


Sunday services for our ward begin at a certain time, rotating each year between 9am, 11am, and 1pm services. Everyone has their preffered starting time, and seldom do I hear people get excited when services begin at 1pm. Something about the fact that when you get home, the day is practically over which means no sunday nap. One great thing about 1pm service is that we have more than enough time to make a big(ger), delicious breakfast; usually pancakes with peanut butter and strawberry fluff. I'm not going to lie, every so often on sunday any morning I'm not opposed to taking out the bisquick mix and pouring out a few flapjacks without having to use my brain. But since every pre-packaged mix of anything has dairy, I utilize those brain cells (that I hear are diminishing by the day) and make some delicious pancakes dairy free.


We ate these with apple cider syrup from a friend's christmas eve birthday breakfast. A recipe I either need to get or figure out on my own; it's really good. To make these pancakes even easier for myself, I think I'll combine the dry ingredients in a bag the night before, then in the morning I can throw everything together even faster; genius.

dairy free pancakes
adapted from betty

just over 3/4 cup of soy/almond/rice milk
1extra large egg or ener-g egg replacer for one and a half eggs
2 Tablespoons oil
dash of vanilla
1 cup flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
large pinch of salt
smidgeon of cinnamon

Combine dry ingredients, set aside. In a one quart measuring cup beat egg well, then add oil and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients mixing with your favorite whisk and as you continue to whisk, add the milk until mixture is to your favorite pancake consistency. Cook on a preheated (and buttered) 350 degree griddle.

If you don' know how to cook pancakes, pour some batter onto a hot buttered griddle or pan and when the cakes are a little dry on the sides and have bubbles on top, flip 'em!

Serve with apple cider syrup, or strawberry fluff.

notes:
- when I rememeber to, I substitute a 1/4 cup of the flour for 2 Tablespoons of ground flax and 2 Tablespoons wheat germ. We love that stuff here.
- I like to mix 1 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice with the "milk" to make the pancakes buttermilk style. you can too.

now that i think of it, my cuzzy made some dairy free pancakes a while ago too, don't they look num?


3 Comments

  1. I love going to the early service at our church and then having more of the day to relax...cook very large breakfasts and sleep off the food we just ate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. slcfoodie - agreed.
    missy - yes! are you too? gf and df, whaa?

    ReplyDelete