Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




Completely dairy free chocolate is hard to come by. If I am lucky enough to find a dairy free chocolate bar processed in a dairy free facility it costs an arm and a leg; so I turn to cocoa. I was craving a chocolate cake after browsing through my mother in-law's copy of martha's living cookbook. So I sketched the recipe down, played with substitutions, and out came this lovely little cake. It smelled heavenly while baking because of the coconut oil, and the eggs are easily substituted with ener-g egg replacer making it completely animal free. This cake is almost vegan, complete sin.



It was a little dry when it came out of the oven, but moistened up after sitting covered for a while. I think when I make it again I will add two teaspoons of vinegar to help make it even more luscious. Also, this is technically a 3 layer cake, but I made two 8-inch layers and nine regular sized cupcakes with the extra batter. They peeled without a crumb stuck to the liners. Speaking of, have you seen these lovely options to adorn your baby cakes?

visit my cafe zupas post for the chocolate frosting recipe I used, completely vegan. plus it has marshmallows in it, yum.

almost vegan chocolate cake
adapted from martha

3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup rice/almond/soy milk
3/4 cup vegan/dairy free baking margarine
3/4 cup coconut oil, at room temperature or a little softened
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean or 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs

"Butter" three 8-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper. (my sissy is a whiz at this!) Sift together cake flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Combine cocoa and boiling water, then whisk in milk until smooth; set aside to cool. Cream margarine, coconut oil and sugar in mixer, add vanilla bean. Break in eggs one at a time, or add in prepared egg replacer.  Add flour and chocolate mixtures, alternating between the two and ending with flour (lil' bit of chocolate, lil' bit of flour, etc.) until well combined.

Fill cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, you know the drill. Allow to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then cool completely on wire rack. Frost with this delicious chocolate marshmallow frosting.

I have to note that my knowledge of dairy free baking has been assisted in great part by Marika of madcapcupcake. She was so kind and answered a lot of my questions through email when I started out on this journey. She has been a culinary inspiration even before my dairy free days.


6 Comments

  1. oooo yummy. My mouth is watering...can you mail it to me?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chocolate marshmallow frosting sounds soooo good! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what stores you have around you but this has been a mission of mine for awhile. Whole foods sells Enjoy life chips taste just life semi-sweet chocolate chips about $3.50 bag. Trader Joes has a HUGE bar called PoundPlus comes in bittersweet or semisweet. super cheap..like $3.00. I use this the most as I grind it up for chips or eat it plain. I don't have a trader joes so I have a friends ship me 5 or 6 bars in at a time. Well worth it. Lastly I always have Lindt 70% cocoa on hand. Not so cheap but good. For some reason all the other Lindt bars do contain dairy. Even their 80% bar? Strange. Hope this helps. Dairy-free living is hard...we need to stick together. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! I have a nephew that works at trader joe's. I wanted him to send us mochi ice cream balls but since he can't, chocolate it is!
    I remember looking at the Lindt chocolate, but for some reason I remember it saying processed in a milk facility? must have been the 80% I'll check again.

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH!! I fear I may have given you false hope. Both the Lindt and Trader's Joe is dairy-free but processed where milk is also processed. I am not that allergic thank goodness. But Enjoy Life Chips states that although milk is processed in the facility the chips have a dedicated line that is 100 % dairy and nut free. These chips are in Whole Food and also on line. Sorry to get your hopes up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, shucks. GORGEOUS looking cake - way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete