Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



How was your Thanksgiving holiday? I do hope it was full of love, gratitude, and good food. I love spending the day with my family. This year we had seven of my aunt's eight kids and their families (the missing one is currently honeymooning), my family, and my granny all in the same house. It was bustling, noisy, and so fun. I brought some of my own meal, but I was happy to find that I could still have a few things since there's another in the family with a dairy aversion. I didn't feel as though I missed out, except when the lemon meringue and cheesecake were unveiled. But it's alright because I had a homemade pumpkin pie all to myself, and I ate some for breakfast this morning too.

I am in love with this glaze. the ginger, the apple; it's heavenly. And very sweet; so you have to pair it with something delicious and not too sugary or else the entire experience is a bit overwhelming. Check out my zupas post for the chocolate applesauce cakies I made (gluten and dairy free) to accompany the glaze and apple chips. I wish you could see Aaron's favorite way to eat them, take off the cupcake paper, open mouth as wide as possible, and stuff the entire cake in.

He does that with a lot of cupcakes.


Last year my sister in-law gave me a small library of old Martha Stewart books and since then I have tabbed a number of recipes, as well as craft and organization ideas. One recipe I had to try before apple season was over was her cider glaze, apple chips and crystallized ginger recipe. Since I’ve temporarily changed my diet I couldn’t make the accompanying cake, but with some inspiration from a gluten free cookbook I made little cupcakes to accompany the glaze and apple chips patterned after the Martha original. These cakes are deliciously moist, and not too sweet like some cupcakes can be. They are perfect paired with the sweet cider glaze and are so cozy and full of holiday flavors - seriously; the glaze is good. Go make it, before fresh apple cider is gone for the year. Pick up a jug from a local orchard on your way home today, even if it’s just to sip.

gluten free chocolate applesauce cakies
6 Tablespoons butter/dairy free margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
heaping 1/3 cup sweet rice flour
2/3 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 baking apples, shredded

Sift together dry ingredients in separate bowl, set aside. Cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, then add applesauce and vanilla, mixing well. Add dry ingredients by spoonful until just combined. Lastly add shredded apple just until combined. Spoon batter into paper lined cupcake pan and bake in preheated 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean.

**You can most definitely substitute the rice and garbanzo bean flours with 1 cup of all purpose flour if you’d rather make it gluten filled instead of gluten free.
makes about 16 cupcakes.


Leave a Reply