Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



Can I share a bit of my current life with you? With the recent location change we have had to sacrifice a few things; things that I will admit I must have taken for granted because now that my life is deprived of them I notice that I'm a bit more whiny. Well at first I was.

Among the things my everyday life now lacks is a microwave. I'll be honest with you, I was shocked at how often I used that thing, how often I relied on its convenience to make my life livable. Now that it's gone I must plan ahead as needed (heaven forbid) for food to defrost, cook, and reheat. I whined a lot the first few days how we needed to buy one so life would go back to normal and it'd finally feel like a home here.

Which brings me to my next deprivation, the oven. We're not deprived how you may think, we have an oven, and it's wonderful. The deprivation I'm talking about has been going on for the past year. I've been striving more and more for convenience that I deprived myself of the charm and allure, not to mention taste, of oven and stovetop cooked foods. I've been cooking my oatmeal in the microwave for so long (much easier with a single serving), I hadn't remembered the perfectly creamy texture of stovetop oatmeal, the way my mother used to make it. Our life's normalcy may be different now, but it's just as homey as before, if not moreso.

The texture alone of oven reheated leftovers is worth trying at least once. It's like the oven renews the food, they're no longer remains of a meal unfinished. Plan ahead, use that oven; then you can go back to using and abusing that zapper box.

stovetop oatmeal
2 cups oatmeal
3 1/2 cups water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
about 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon sugar blend

Combine water, oats and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring every so often so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add maple syrup and cinnamon sugar, cover, and remove from heat. Serve hot with cold milk and fruit; bananas, pomegranate seeds, apples, peaches, etc.

serves four.


4 Comments

  1. I hope you get settled in soon. The oatmeal looks great. I eat it every day. It's good for the heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, when we moved into our new place we didn't have a microwave, and we though to our selves "How often do people even use microwaves, i bet we could go with out one!". And so here we are in the same position you are. 5 Months later still no microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maria <3
    Portia - how funny, don't you love it? It's interesting the things we allow to become habit. I will continue on without using one but I think Aaron's caving in; he's been looking on ksl for cheap used ones already. I think he misses his one serving of oatmeal in the morning.

    ReplyDelete