Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

My life is now both dairy and wheat free. My appreciation for the allergy, celiac, and vegan communities has increased seven fold. More than that, really. Do you remember my first experience baking gluten free goodies? Well I had a few mishaps then, and I face more every day when I try to make something leavened from my oven. I feel as though I am learning how to bake all over again.  The fact is, completely wheat and dairy free store bought bread is hard to come by, but because of the ever increasing gluten-free community it is available at specific markets.  However it costs much more than I'm willing to spend for one small air-packed loaf of bread like nourishment. So naturally I thought, I'll just make it myself. It'll be cheaper, I'll know exactly what is in it, and life will be yeasty again. Then I realized that baking has always been an art, and I never was a proficient in the first place. So my failure at wheat and dairy free potato bread came as no surprise.  Honestly, it tastes like salt and air. My hopes for a delicious holiday season are slowly slipping away. What is Thanksgiving turkey without a warm buttery roll to sop the gravy?  Leftover Christmas ham without a hot flaky biscuit and mustard? {sigh.}

Can you tell I'm still in the mourning phase?

To be fair, I do have a list of recipes to try and blogs to peruse. The amount of resources from others living this homemade lifestyle is encouraging. It's just still so new to me. Maybe by December we will have this allergy business figured out. I now recognize the courtesy that it was, making that bridal shower a gluten free one. I experienced first hand how it feels to have a table of options with only one realistic choice, the raw stuff. Social engagements are a whole other animal.

If you have wheat/gluten/dairy-free bread making tips, or a recipe that even I can master, I do hope you'll share. I'm on the hunt for everything.


  1. I'm so sorry~ I can't imagine what you are going through...you have a challenge ahead of you, but the Internet at your fingertips...Good luck! I'm sure you will pave the way for others to follow.

  2. I haven't experimented much with diary/wheat free foods, but my husbands mother is both, and she makes amazing food. I'll see if i can round up some recipes. In the mean time, http://madcapcupcake.wordpress.com/

    she is a wonder in the kitchen when it comes to Vegan cooking :)

  3. i'm sorry, i am of zero help to you. i'm apparently allergic to dairy myself and am playing around with non-dairy recipes too.
    i've missed your posts, will def. be keeping track of your progress in this!

  4. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I really have been having fun exploring the options and alternatives. just every so often I get a teensy sad.
    portia- i'd love that! and yes, marika is fabulous.
    lan- we're in this together!

  5. Oh dear! I'm sure you'll get into the swing of things.

    I recently made the 'freedom cupcakes' from vegan cupcakes take over the world, and while they were a bit odd and not quite like regular cupcakes, everyone loved them. Topped with a little whipped tofu/chocolate ganache and a strawberry everyone loved them!

    Another favourite is the chocolate sparkle cookie. I made about a billion as favors for my wedding. Love them!

  6. thanks jenny! I'll try those cookies out. Although now that I can eat wheat again it's not so dismal around here. kudos to you for making so many little favors for your wedding, what a sweet handmade gift for your guests.