Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



I hope I wasn't too depressing in my last post, I really didn't mean to be too down trodden. I appreciate all the encouragement though. So after making the decision to do a wheat and dairy free trial I went to the library and checked out books on allergy free cooking and baking, stopped by the local health food store for a few bags of various flours and substitutions, made some wheat free bread, lamented over the loss of a convenient and 'normal' gathering with my family next week, and then decided that things wouldn't be so bad after all.  I've actually been having fun with this little adventure, exploring new ways to bake, adapting old favorites to fit into my new diet, asking about every little menu option while eating out, and planning our own little holiday dinner.

Of course I've had some difficulties, no life changing experience is without them. However I don't want to be too grievous about it; after all it's for the most adorable cause ever. I'd do anything for that sweet little girl. So figuring out this food allergy will be a wheat, dairy and possibly egg free piece of cake.

Little things like these candied almonds make me optimistic about change. They are a little spin off the traditional holiday treat that permeates shopping malls with the smell of cinnamon and holiday cheer come December. I added a little of my very favorite season into the mix and I got two thumbs up from Aaron. A perfect little apple-teaser for Thanksgiving dinner, or as a gift during the holidays. This recipe is easy and they're delicious, although I will have to figure out an alternative to the egg white if sweet baby is also allergic to eggs, which is the next thing to go if rashes and such don't clear up soon.

apple cinnamon candied almonds
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups raw almonds
6 Tablespoons sugar*
6 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
2 Tablespoons powdered apple cider mix

Beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form, add almonds and stir until almonds are evenly coated. Combine sugars, salt, cinnamon and apple cider mix in a separate bowl and then add to almonds, stirring again until well coated. Spread onto an oiled and parchment lined baking sheet assuring that all the almonds are in one layer. Bake in preheated 200°F oven turning the almonds first after 30 minutes, and then every 15 minutes until dry and crunchy.
That means you'll have to taste a few or twenty to check and double check the texture; which is the best part of course.


*6 Tablespoons = 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons


6 Comments

  1. We are so lucky to live in this day where everything is on the Internet and the support group for food allergies has become so large. I have a friend who she herself and 3 of her children all have celiac and other food allergies. Through years of trial and error and success, she has become quite the Betty Crocker. You can do this. It's a great challenge and one you can conquer! Your daughter is lucky to have such a great mom who is willing to go the extra mile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great recipe for cinnamon candied almonds that does not have egg whites. Take a look and see what you think:

    http://tinyurl.com/yzhkkq6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, how sweet of you. And I agree, if there's any time to have a food allergy/intolerance it's now. I really have only had a hard time coping when I fail, which is something everyone experiences isn't it?

    Frieda, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay....I love you and will FOREVER think of you at Christmas! These are DIVINE! All of my neighbors are getting them and they are going to love me-thanks to you! Seriously, AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't need the sob stories, the 'love' stories, or any religious connotations. Just post the recipe (actually, more of a method) and let's move on.

    I will report back whether or not my wife (Doctor Elizabeth) enjoyed it or not.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doc Chuck - for me, food is always related to a life story. And what a boring place this blog would be if I only typed out methods of food and flavor combinations.

    i also hope your wife does enjoy these candied almonds, because they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete