Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Granny's gingerbread , popcorn, and a movie on sunday night. You know those traditions that continue through generations? This is one of them, although to be honest as it has filtered through generations, it became diluted. As a child, my mother would do it often, and in my own childhood we would do it seldom. I want to include it in baby j's childhood so she can have that connection to past family members. We're all connected somehow, this is one way mine are linked together although it's not the most important way.  What are some traditions that have been handed down from past generations in your own family?  I'd love to hear them.  Whatever they are I hope they're accompanied by happy memories.  If not, make new traditions that will create those happy memories.

It's funny, even the title to this post brings memories of my father, a 5'1" half bald chinese man, holding his finger to the sky shouting "tradition!" like Tevia in Fiddler on the Roof.  A regular sunday movie in my home growing up.  I love happy family memories.

great granny's gingerbread
from mom

1 cup boiling water
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
2 well beaten eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Pour boiling water over butter, add sugar, molasses and egg; beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients; beat until smooth.  Bake in buttered and floured loaf pan in moderate oven.

The recipe says for 35 minutes at 350°F but I ended up baking mine for almost an hour, covering it with a piece of parchment paper after a half hour. You know the drill, bake until an inserted skewer comes out clean.


  1. I was reading about family's holiday traditions in the Family Fun magazine, and cried like our little babies at the end of each one! So I don't think i'll share a tradition, my body can't handle the tears!

  2. Next time you make this you need to bring me some... I love love love Gma's Gingerbread!

  3. this looks delicious!! i can't wait to try this. although I don't have parchment paper on hand so I wonder if I will be okay without it to cover the bread..

  4. @Megan you should be fine, you can use tin foil as well, it actually might be better. enjoy!

  5. Oh my word! so I typed gingerbread in in pinterest because I thought it looked interesting and I came upon your recipe! Obviously I HAD to make it since I know you haha! SOOOOOO good! I could eat this stuff all day long!